A Sunday Conversation with The Soul of John Black

It wasn't that long ago that our friends at Miles High Promotions dropped a soul bomb into our lap, the surprising and deeply rich album by the The Soul of John Black. As you can imagine, it only took us a few microseconds to know we were hearing something pretty special, and only a few microseconds after that to ask the ever-talented John Bingham, the mastermind of The Soul of John Black, to come pay us a visit on our red interview couch. Now, most often our guests love to hang and chat, sharing stories and philosophies amongst a cold brew. With Mr. Bingham, well, let's just say he let's his music do the talking.

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkle, the first time I ever heard Kiss's " Detroit Rock City ," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.


What have been your musical epiphany moments?

Iggy Pop


Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

There's no one way I could nail that down.



Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

Every day life is the inspiration


Genre's are so misleading and such a way to pigeonhole bands. Without resorting to labels, how would you describe your music?

My Music.


What is you musical intention? What are you trying to express or get your audience to feel?

I play music because I enjoy it. I do it for myself


In songwriting, how do you bring the song together? What do you look for in terms of complexity? Simplicity? Time changes?

Music is from the heart,the level of complexity is determined by the examiner.




The business of music is a brutal place. Changes in technology have made it easier than ever for bands to get their music out, but harder than ever to make a living? What are your plans to move the band forward? How do you stay motivated in this brutal business?

I just live my life.


You've played with Miles, toured with Fishbone, and more. Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

Sorry.


Where do you see you and your music going in ten years?

I don't know.


What makes a great song?

I don't know.


Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

I don't remember.


What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

??????


Who today, writes great songs? Why?

Kanye ,why ???? I don't know.



Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

Live music.


What's the best record store in your town?

Amoeba.

Short and sweet and too the point. No risk getting bored with this cat running off at the mouth. He'd rather run off with the guitar, And what a great sound it is. All you fans of deeply soulful blues, check it out.

Comments

Unknown said…
best interview ever.