Rumors Heard in MySpace, Episode 7

Well Waveriders, it’s the end of August and the kids are preparing to go back to school. The temperatures are in the hundreds and everybody is looking for some relief from the heat. And, I mean everybody. I coulda’ swore I saw the devil himself hosing down in my backyard before standing in front of the air conditioning unit. But, I’m not here to talk about theology or the financial dilemma I face with my utility bills. I’m here to tell you about the word on the street . . . or, in this case, the information super highway and cyber social gathering Mecca known as MySpace. As many of you know, I’ve spent many hours surfing and finding some interesting bands that no one else, but a select few, know about. And as is the case with every Episode up to now, I’m going to spend the next few scorching moments telling you about the hot topics and burning issues as they pertain to a handful of artists that we care about. Like how I threw all that temperature related stuff in there? I sat up for hours working on that one.


There’s a particularly interesting lad out here doing something that kinda’ boggles my noodles. The band is called Nothing Project and is literally a one man band. This dude, Marcus Connor, plays every instrument on the band’s debut album, One Man Rock Band. Oh . . . I forgot to mention that not only does he play all of the instruments, but he plays them all at the same time! Hello! Mr. Fantastic? Is that you? How the hell does he do this stuff? The picture in the CD booklet tells a small amount of how he pulls this off. Apparently, while Marcus is playing guitar and singing, his feet are busy hammering away at a bass drum and a snare drum. On first listen, I thought, “Eh.” On second listen, I was blown away. The music falls in line with the bluesy noise rock of The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, but I like this stuff a whole lot better. Maybe because I’m amazed that he’s pulling this off with no studio trickery. This is all performed by one dude . . . at one time. Excuse me a moment as I go to my studio and destroy my gear. Swing by his page www.myspace.com/nothingproject and be prepared to throw any of your musical aspirations in the corner with your dirty clothes.


From one man band to two man band, the brothers Mardo are no longer performing under their surname. There may, or may not, have been some rift within the ranks of the band, which has put a hamper on the boys getting in the studio, writing, recording, you know . . . doing what bands do. So, for the time being, Mardo (the band) are no more. However, Mardo (the brothers) are still at it and have put together a project called Heavy Young Heathens. The music doesn’t have that same crazed out, “shake your shit,” Mardo sound, but in so many ways, this is a much more mature and all around intriguing sound. I insist that you not take my word on this one. Go by their page (www.myspace.com/heavyyoungheathens) and be prepared to spend some time chillin’ out. They have five tunes that you can download from the page, which should be available on an E.P. in the very near future. They’ve completed a video for the track “Sha La La La” and you simply have to read their blog regarding the director of the clip. Oh . . . and if that weren’t enough, they’re planning on a string of dates for a tour through this great country of ours. Guys . . . don’t forget to drop by the Ripple offices. I have a bottle of whisky I’ve been meaning to get to you.


Keeping with the theme of brothers in rock, Hal and Sam Stokes are the blood line of The Thieves and they’ve called it quits. Not as brothers, but as members of the same band . . . at least, for the foreseeable future. Sam has left The Thieves to join ex-Darkness vocalist, Justin Hawkins, to form Hot Leg (www.myspace.com/teamhotleg). There are a couple of tracks that you can spin on your little media player to get a sense of what these guys are about, but Thieves fans (that goes for you, Mud Skipper) remember that all things in rock n’ roll are temporary. The Thieves will be back one day to make all right again in the world.


Getting away from the straight up rock styling’s of the last few bands that I’ve mentioned I want to bring some more attention to the progressive leanings of The Awakening. I had touched on their demo a few months back and that they were working to get some vocal tracks down for an upcoming album. Well, as of yet, I haven’t heard anything with the vocals, but there is a new track that’s been posted on their page (www.myspace.com/theawakeningFL). The song is called “The Terminal Shards” and has a serious Opeth vibe to it. The guys in the band mention that all of the posted recordings are rough recordings, but man . . . they sound great! I have a sneaking hunch that the completed album will turn my bowels to water. Not normally something I would look forward to, but in this case, I’ll stock up on Charmin and reading material.


Also, in prog news . . . Heir to Madness has released The Citadel (www.myspace.com/heirtomadness). It’s a sprawling, multi-layered mood rocker of an album and demands your attention. It’s an ambitious outing from the one man recording unit of Jay, err . . . Jay something. I never did find out what his last name is. Really . . . what’s in a name? I’m always amazed when I hear an album that has so much going on in it, and then find out that only one person was involved in the whole process. That’s Mozart type shit! File Heir to Madness with all of the other great MySpace one man music composers, such as Mountain Mirrors and Dimeansion X. There’s some involved and complex work coming out of these guys, and on top of that . . . good work. It’s one thing to create an album by one’s own blood, sweat, and tears. It’s something all together different to make it sound good. We should really get these three guys together and see what kind of magnum opus that they would pull out of their back pocket. Racer? Call legal. Make it happen. Keep your eyes open for a featured review of The Citadel in coming weeks.



Avant-garde metal mavens, Urizen, have released an E.P. entitled Universe. There are a couple of tracks to listen to on their page (www.myspace.com/urizen). They’re different, bouncing from speedy hyper metal to jazzy lounge vocal tracks. I appreciate their approach towards music because one never knows exactly where they’re headed. Keep the listener on their toes kind of thing. Oh, and while you’re there, check out the select tracks from their full length disc called Autocropolis. I actually picked this one up a few years ago and it’s made its way into steady rotation on the ole iPod. And it hasn’t been reviewed? Time, people! I need more time!



Bouncing from studio to stage, stage to studio, San Diego’s Incomplete Neighbor (www.myspace.com/incompleteneighbor) are living the rock n’ roll dream. I’ve just come into possession of some demo tracks and these guys have my attention. The four songs that I’ve heard range from skull vibrating rock to ambient shimmering chill, all done with the vocal flavorings of Bono. They’ll be playing a few local shows in the near future, one of which I will be in attendance for. September 13th at the Ken Club. Should be fun. Future fodder for a Field Report? Quite possibly. But it will have to wait until after the Field Report for King’s X, for I am to embrace their groove flavor on the 27th of August.


Back in June, I had reviewed Oblivion Beckons from the ever so technically adept metal band, Byzantine. I mentioned that the band broke up mere days after the release of the album due to a myriad of events, namely three of the four band members embracing the art of fatherhood. Well, unfortunately, things haven’t changed and the band is still no more. However, vocalist/guitarist “OJ” Ojeda has put together a project to keep him busy when he’s not working nine to five or changing diapers. The project is called Black Cap Miner and is a nod to the old school thrash movement of the mid to late ‘80’s. My understanding of it is that OJ got together with some childhood chums and hashed out some of the tunes that got them through adolescence and beyond. Swing by, check out the blog for more info (www.myspace.com/blackcapminer), and drop the cats a line of support. If any group of musicians deserves the undying support of legions of rabid fans, it’s the guys who made up Byzantine. Stupidly talented and down to earth human. What more could a music fan ask for?


Before I put a wrap on this month’s episode, I’d like to turn the spotlight on one of my favorite MySpace tunes. It’s from a wonderful singer / songwriter going by the name of Kika. Swing by her page (www.myspace.com/kika) and listen to the track, “Not the One.” It’s an acoustic guitar driven tune and has got a great melody that she sings with that right amount of passion. The rest of the tunes on the page are pretty good too, so if you’re into that Natalie Merchant (why is it so many female singers are compared to her?) vocal sound, then Kika should work well for you.

Until next month, stay cool and watch out for a dude with a pointy tail running up your water bill. - Pope JTE

Comments

Bar L. said…
You really do your homework! I am going to check out the one man band guy!