Ripple Library: A Conversation With Jessica M. Karjanis About Her Book The Wheel of the Year: An Introduction to Pagan Holidays
From the hopeful crocus shoots of Imbolc to the joyous sunshine of Litha, The Wheel of the Year: An Introduction to Pagan Holidays invites young readers to reflect on nature’s cycles and learn about modern Pagan traditions.
With historical background information and a hands-on activity for each holiday, this engaging nonfiction book is perfect for middle grade readers.
“The Wheel of the Year is the book that has been missing from libraries all over the country. It's a thoughtfully researched overview of modern Pagan and earth-based spiritual practices that familiarizes children with the understanding they need, regardless of their own religious background. I can't wait to share this long-overdue book with the young people in my life.”
– Sarah Beck, author of Magic Child: A Bedtime Ritual and The Tarot Deck Mess
And now on with the interview!
What inspired you to write The Wheel of The Year: An Introduction to Pagan Holidays?
I'm an elementary school librarian and way back before the pandemic I was looking for a Yule book to put on display alongside the ones about Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. (Yule is the Pagan winter solstice celebration.) I wasn't able to find one in the library, so I started looking around for a book to add to the collection. At that time, I couldn't find quite the right title for a general audience -- school library books about religion should be “informational, not indoctrinating.” So when we were home doing distance learning in 2020, I started writing about the topic of modern Pagan holidays in an expository format.
There are many variations, but at the most broad level, modern Pagan spirituality is based on the Earth and its cycles. Over the next several years, I researched Paganism and Pagan holidays through books, web sources, and personal interviews. I felt that it was important for these beliefs represented in library collections not just for grownups, but also for kids. In 2023, National Geographic estimated that there were around 1.5 million people in the United States who practiced some form of Paganism. Researching Paganism has deepened my own practice of Earth-based spirituality alongside the Christian beliefs I grew up with, and I still have so much more to learn.
Did you work off a strict outline or more free flow?
I started off writing a section for each of the eight sabbats, but then I realized that readers would need background information about modern Pagan beliefs and history – so I went back and wrote some introductory chapters. Then I added an activity for each holiday, as well as three “How We Celebrate” sidebars with quotations from Pagans explaining their practice.
What kind of research did you do for this book?
A lot! I started with some print books I had, The Hedgewitch Book of Days by Mandy Mitchell and Wicca For Beginners by Thea Sabin. Fiona Cook’s The Wheel of the Year: An Illustrated Guide to Nature’s Rhythms was published in 2023 and became a great source as well. I got interlibrary loans for even more books, including works by Scott Cuningham and Dr. Helen Berger. Dr. Berger was kind enough to review an early draft of the book and give me feedback; I also got feedback from a former coven leader in my town.
I used web sources too – both online encyclopedias and individually authored websites. Finally, I conducted several interviews with practicing Pagans and witches to get different perspectives on the Wheel of Year holidays.
What was your greatest challenge writing this book?
As it turned out, it wasn’t easy to just whip up a book about Pagan holidays! I had published a personal finance book in 2020 with a second edition in 2022 and that book was much easier to write.
I think that’s because a Roth IRA is a Roth IRA no matter which way you spin it. But how many different ways do people celebrate Midsummer or Samhain? How many different ancient goddesses and gods are part of modern traditions? What holidays from other religions are connected to Pagan ones? You get the idea. If you wanted to write a book on how to be Catholic, you could Google what Pope Leo says. (Yes, that’s an oversimplification.) But there is no “Pope Leo” for Pagans – to a significant extent, Pagans make their own practice.
So it was hard to choose what to include without getting too lengthy or granular for my young audience. What I thought would take a couple months to draft ended up taking almost six years of on-and-off work. (I also had two kids and got another college degree during that time!)
What would you like to leave behind about your statement on Paganism?
Modern Paganism is about acknowledging the Earth’s gifts and striving to be a better member of our interconnected universe. It’s not scary or harmful, and it has nothing to do with the Christian concept of Satan. You don’t have to be a “goth” or wear black lipstick to practice Paganism (or witchcraft for that matter – which overlaps with Paganism at times, but is not the same thing). And in fact, you don’t have to give up other beliefs to practice Pagan ones.
Earth-based spirituality has a lot to offer as our planet is changing due to human actions. How can we take care of the Earth the way she takes care of us?
What's the relationship between Paganism and heavy music?
Lots of heavy bands use occult imagery in their music and art, which many people associate with Paganism. Black Sabbath, anyone? And it seems like every other doom band has the word “witch” in their names. But I think there’s an undercurrent of Paganism in the heavy music scene that goes deeper than the aesthetic level.
Just a few examples – “Invocation of the Dreamer,” the first track of Khemmis’s new self-titled album. Right away, the lyrics sounded to me like calling the quarters, which is part of Pagan holiday ceremonies. Of course there’s Ripple’s own High Priestess, who are “Casting the Circle” – another element of a Pagan ritual! Then you have the whole folk and pagan metal genre with bands like Heilung, Arkona, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Cruachan… For more mainstream metal bands, Amon Amarth comes to mind with their themes of Norse mythology. I’m sure there are many that I’m not listing. One of my own bands Owl Maker (inactive at the moment) had several Pagan-themed songs but I guess that’s not a surprise lol.
What are you currently working on?
I joined the 12x12 Picture Book Challenge this year. Basically you pay $200 to be in a club where you write a picture book draft every month and give each other feedback. There are all levels of writers in the group, from picture book newbies like me to well-established authors whose books I purchase for my school library! I’m not sure if I will become a picture book author, but I’m up to date with my drafts so far. I want to get my two-hundred-dollars-worth!
I also have some public library events scheduled this fall for The Wheel of The Year! This is pretty exciting for me because these will be my first “author events” aside from the book release gathering.
What is the weirdest/wildest topic or fact that you’ve had to research or uncovered in your research?
I learned that the last recorded witchcraft executions in Europe took place in Poland in 1793! That’s more recent than I had imagined.
The people prosecuted for “practicing witchcraft” in Europe and colonial America were likely not doing anything that would be recognizable as modern Paganism. They certainly weren’t reading Instagram posts about how to do a self-care ritual at the next full moon. They were probably just existing! Perhaps as widows whose neighbors coveted their large apple orchards… Witch trials were about subjugation and control, disproportionately affecting women. Today, modern Pagans and witches feel a connection to those persecuted as witches long ago.
What else would you want readers to know about you? Where can readers find you online?
When I’m not writing books about Paganism for kids or doing my real job as a school librarian, I’m also a musician – which is how I found the Waveriders group! Bass is my primary instrument; I also sing and play a few other strings here and there. Check out Turkey Vulture, The Shoutbacks, and my solo music if you’re curious.
You can find alllllll my assorted online things here.
Want a kid-friendly resource for your family to learn more about Paganism? The Wheel of The Year: An Introduction to Pagan Holidays is available online wherever books are sold:
Blessed be!


Comments