Rage of Armageddon Festival IX - September 11, 12, 13 2026 at The Meadows Brooklyn, NY

Armageddon Promotions NYC

https://www.facebook.com/Armageddonproductionsnyc

 

Complete Festival Line-up and set lists of (most of) the bands I saw at the end of the article

 

The Rage of Armageddon Festival - a three-day metal festival featuring more than two dozen bands spanning multiple subgenres of heavy metal from all over the world at a venue in Brooklyn.

 

The festival ended Sunday. Today is Tuesday.

 

So - full disclosure - I started writing the standard “this band played a set peppered with songs from their 30-plus-year catalog that had the crowd banging their heads…” typical review, right?

 

But promoter Ed Farshtey and his outstanding crew deserve more. Much more.

 

But how can I capture what happened during the two days that I was there? (Unfortunately, I couldn't make Saturday due to family obligations.)

 

So instead of the usual “THIS BAND KICKED ASS!”

 

There are the little stories.

 

The Modelo can that got smashed but survived when my friend went toward the stage to get pictures of At War just as they were starting their set.

 

The pit during Atheist’s set that spilled over onto the Rage merch table because Atheist’s set was that legendary.  Even though they were a “last minute addition” because Artillery hadn’t received their visa clearance in time - they definitely showed the crowd how classic technical thrash metal is done.  It was a pleasure to watch them.

 

The Artillery fans I commiserated with about the band’s unfortunate visa woes - and my vow to take on the Danish embassy in Manhattan personally next time (and something about me bringing a box of *småkager* to smooth over the transaction).

 

How many times did I hear people say, “I never thought I’d be able to see this band?”

 

How many times did I hear, “How come I’ve never heard this band before?”

 

HOW MANY TIMES DID *I* SAY THAT????

 

How many conversations were started just by seeing someone walk by with an ultra-cool shirt?

 

“Bro, Angel Witch! Sick shirt!”

 

How many friendships were started in the backyard over a cigarette or while browsing the merch racks?

 

Am I still kicking myself for not buying that bright yellow King Diamond *Fatal Portrait*-era shirt? Yes.

 

With original L’Amour DJ Alex Kayne spinning the tunes between bands, the whole weekend had a very old-school vibe. For us headbangers of a certain age, it did feel like stepping back in time - even if our backs and knees reminded us days later that, no, it’s not the ’80s anymore.

 

When we walked in on Friday night, Morpheus Descends were in the middle of their set of old-school black metal. The floor was vibrating. The air was physically charged. The crowd was definitely pumped.

 

Every single band that played brought their A game. Even Sacred Oath, for example, was missing a member, and for a casual fan like me, I didn’t notice a drop in quality. I had seen them a few times over the years, and they still sounded outstanding. And “The Omen” sounded like classic Mercyful Fate, so I was in my glory.

 

Likewise with At War. I saw them in 2010 in their home base of Virginia Beach. You couldn’t tell 16 years had gone by. The new track “Midnight Hammer” is a total thrasher and fits right in with their classics like “Rape Chase,” “Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS,” and “Eat Lead” - which singer Paul Arnold dedicated to anyone who thinks the U.S. deserved the terror attacks that happened on September 11.

 

At War also did a killer cover of Motörhead’s “The Hammer,” and my neck still hurts days later!

 

Personally, the two biggest “where has this band been all my life?” discoveries were Wretch and Glacier.

 

I’m a big fan of old-school traditional metal. Wretch, to me, had more of a Manowar and Jag Panzer-type vibe, while Glacier were more on the European side of power metal, like Stormwitch or Running Wild.

 

I was telling complete strangers, “I REALLY LIKE THEM!! YO!!! THEY FUCKING RULE!!”

 

Ahem.

 

Wade Black's Astronomica (Power Metal band from Florida featuring former Crimson Glory vocalist Wade Black)  were excellent as well - really skillful players. Musically, they reminded me of Voivod. Bands like them make me want to throw my bass into the Atlantic Ocean. The level of musicianship is that sick.


 

Gammacide were a good old-school thrash band, but by the time they went on, my feet were killing me, and I was enjoying their set from the backyard. They are definitely a band worth checking out, and they had a wild pit going for them.

 

The legendary Blood Feast was next.

 

Another band I had seen a few times, and they do not disappoint. I was told they had a different lineup, but the only member I recognized was guitarist CJ Scioscia (nice Dictators shirt).

 

The crowd lost their shit for them.

 

The entire room was a pit!

 


Up next was NWOBHM band Elixir.

 

I had seen them when they first played in the U.S. 20 years ago, and I had formed a friendship with them that still lasts to this day. I had an emotional reunion with guitarist Norman Gordon, drummer Nigel Dobbs, and singer Paul Taylor.

 

“New boy” Vinny Konrad and I had previously met when he was in Pagan Altar and they played the Maryland Death Fest in 2012, so it was great to reconnect again.

 

And new bassist Mark Mulcaster was a pleasure to talk to about Iron Maiden right before the band went on.

 

This is really the only part of the fest where I abandoned “serious journalist” mode and went into “emotional fan” mode.

 

I stood with my buddy PJ right at the front for the whole of Elixir’s set. The band played their seminal 1986 *Son of Odin* album in its entirety in celebration of its 40th anniversary.

 

I was there 20 years ago for the 20th anniversary - 20 years since I was in the photo pit for the first British Steel Festival in Milton Keynes, England, watching Elixir.

 

It was like no time had gone by.

 

Paul’s voice still has that same melodic timbre. The new guys fit right in - even though I did miss founding guitarist Phil Denton and his trademark SG on stage left, I have zero complaints about Vinny (who had his own SG). .

 

After Elixir’s set, I noticed my photographer Mike was looking exhausted and starving, and we both realized we weren’t going to make it for the next two bands - which was a shame because I was totally stoked for Medieval Steel and Leatherwolf.

 

Like I said earlier - the mind thinks I’m in my 20s, but the body knows that 45 is in the rearview mirror.

 

We said our goodbyes to old friends (it’s not going to be another 20 years!!!), got contact info for new friends, bought Rage of Armageddon swag, and headed out.

 

Oh yeah - the girl working the Rage merch table. She was an absolute doll. I wish I had her energy! She was totally into every single band, and she had so much enthusiasm that she was getting the crowd going. I loved her!

 

So, big thanks again to Ed and the crew for making this happen despite the cancellations, band emergencies, bureaucratic red tape, and all the other little bits of bullshit that come with the territory of putting together a massive festival like Rage of Armageddon IX. 

 

It was a huge success, and I’m very lucky and proud to have been a part of it.

 

See you next year!

 

-Rys 


Friday

Morpheus Descends Setlist

The Cruciform Hills

Immortal Coil

Way of All Flesh

Begging for Possession

The Martense Mansion

Submerged in Adipocere

Ritual of Infinity

Cairn of Dumitru

  

At War Setlist

Midnight Hammer

Assassins

Conscientious Objector

Creed of the Sniper

Ordered to Kill

Dawn Of Death

Rapechase

The Hammer (Motorhead cover)

Ilsa She wolf of the SS

Eat Lead.

 

Atheist Setlist

Unquestionable Presence 35th Anniversary

Mother Man

Unquestionable Presence

Your Life's Retribution

Enthralled in Essence

An Incarnation's Dream

The Formative Years

Brains

And the Psychic Saw

 

Sunday

Wretch Set List

Mental Wars

Man or Machine

The Voice

Life

Final Stand

Strike Force 1

Eyes of Fate

 

Sacred Oath Set List

Magic Son

The Ferryman’s Lair

The Beginning

Shadow Out of Time

A Crystal Vision

The Omen

Two Powers

 

Wade Black's Astronomica Set List

Astronomica

Protectors of the Realm

Touch the Sun

Destiny

Monsters

Edge of Forever

War of the Worlds

 

Glacier Set List

Ready for Battle

Eldest and Truest

When Heavens At Hand

Devils in Disguise

Speak no Evil

Live for the Whip

Into the Night

Vendetta

  

Gammacide Set List

Endangered species

Fossilized

Shock Treatment

Predator or Pray

Sinkhole

Walking Plague

Toxic Mercenaries

Victims of Science

Gutter Rats.

 

Elixir Set List:

The Star of Beshaan

Pandora's Box

Hold High the Flame

Children of Tomorrow

Trial by Fire

Starflight

Dead Man's Gold

Treachery (Ride Like the Wind)

Son of Odin


 

    FRIDAY SEPT 11

8:50 - 9:50 - ATHEIST

7:40 - 8:30 - AT WAR

6:40 - 7:20 - MORPHEUS DESCENDS

5:40 - 6:20 - CASTRATOR

4:45 - 5:25 - COVEN 6669

4:00 - 4:30 - BASTARD SKULL

3:30 - DOORS

3:15 - VIP

     SATURDAY SEPT 12

8:35 - 9:50 - MASSACRE

7:25 - 8:15 - DESOLATION ANGELS

6:20 - 7:05 - INSANITY

5:15 - 6:00 - BLACK WATER RISING

4:15 - 4:55 - MACHINE OF WAR

3:15 - 3:55 - MAUSOLEUM

2:30 - 3:00 - DROWNING IN BLOOD

1:45 - 2:15 - ELECTROCUTIONER

1:00 - 1:30 - DECEPTOR

12:30 - DOORS

12:15 - VIP

     SUNDAY SEPT 13

9:00 -10:00- LEATHERWOLF

8:05 - 8:45 - MEDIEVAL STEEL

7:05 - 7:45 - ELIXIR

6:05 - 6:50 - BLOOD FEAST

5:05 - 5:45 - GAMMACIDE

4:10 - 4:45 - GLACIER

3:20 - 3:55 - ASTRONOMICA

2:30 - 3:05 - SACRED OATH

1:40 - 2:15 - WRETCH

12:55 - 1:25 - UNKNOWN

12:30 - DOORS

12:15 - VIP

 

 

 

Comments