I don't know what rock I was hiding under in 1999 when 7Zuma7 released their album 'Deep Inside', but boy howdy am I ever stoked that Ripple Music reissued this fuzzed out bomb under their 'Beneath the Desert Floor" series. I don't know if I would have learned about this band otherwise and leave it to Ripple for reminding us that there is so much good, timeless music that needs to be heard!
Since 7Zuma7 is new to me I had zero expectations so when I listened to this album for the first time it was a sudden burst of dopamine. Always a good sign, right? The more I listened to it, the more I was fantasizing about riding in a convertible through the desert without a destination or care in the world, just living freely in the moment. I would have never guessed these guys were from the Netherlands, although we all know a lot of notable heavy stoner bands have hailed from those European regions, but being a Californian native I can't help but think of this music radiating from the hot and gritty wasteland near Joshua Tree with its colorful sunsets and vast skies. This album threw me back to simpler times with their thick guitar riffs, thrusting grooves and fiesty vocals, all filled with attitude and intention. But you know what, that shit works beautifully in my book and I'm sure for many others. I can't help but sway and bob my head when listening to this album and the fact 7Zuma7 makes me feel this good from beginning to end and consistently after every rotation is worth spreading the word about!
This album brings together a lot of strong influences and takes you on a pulsating journey. I can hear tinges of grunge, bluesy rock, heavy psych and 70s hard rock and if these guys were still performing I could easily see myself plotting my next trip to some European festival they would be playing at alongside current legends like Earthless, Black Rainbows, Fu Manchu, Hermano and Acid King. And I would be on the rail dancing my ass off, completely blissed out and pumping my fists enjoying life. But for now I'll have to just imagine it in my head and that's okay too. One can dream and it's better late than never discovering this band that has infiltrated my soul and brings me so much joy. Please do take the time to check them out if you haven't already, it is a worthy investment you will not regret!
-Debbie Lee

Comments