Today, I'd like to share Mothertomb with you. I'm not a reviewer or blogger or whatever. Sometimes I just come across something so cool, I want to share. On my drive home from work yesterday, I listened to the Mothertomb EP and I can tell you this. It freaked me out but in the best way.
I met Chance and Alice in Denver and they were just so damn cool and pleasant to hang with. We talked about getting started and sharing our music with people for the first time and there was just a genuine connection there. I knew what they were going to release would be cool, but not this cool...
First of all, and no surprise, Alice's voice is magic. Like, seance type of magic. Necronomicon type of magic. It is silky smooth and absolutely haunting. She fills the moments with an eerie effortlessness. It's not even human. When she drops down to a lower register, the vibrato is subtle but flat out fire. There is nothing like it.
Chance and the boys somehow, not only support that unique vocal approach, they elevate it. It's sooooo damn hard not to throw some band names out as comparisons to different elements of Mothertomb songs, but I won't do it. I can't. I hear bits that remind me of my favorite bands but only in mood and execution. Nobody will ever compare the Mothertomb sound with anyone else. I have to instruct you to settle in and ride this out. They start with a gorgeous and melancholy piece that is borderline operatic, but you just wait. The band arrives on every song with a crunch and a crisp heaviness that somehow amplifies Alice.
I'm nobody special but I just loved this release and wanted to share with everyone. This is unlike most of what you'll hear in this massive genre universe we find ourselves in, but DAMN, it's so good. I hope you dig it as much as I do. I'm so happy for them and can't wait to see and hear what they do next.
I have to get back to work, but I'll try to add the next band/release by the end of the week. There is so much pure gold out there in them doom hills!
-John/Shadow Of Jupiter

Comments