A Fistful Of Questions With Jason Hodgkins From Uragh

     Gamer.  Ass man.  Tool enthusiast.  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Uragh drummer Jason “The Beaumont Bruiser” Hodgkins. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Jason Hodgkins

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

No

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

Jason Destruction, Jay Lethal, The Beaumont Bruiser, Hey you in the bushes

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Uragh and Mudskipper

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Probably some fisher price piano or something. I tried guitar when I was around 10 but never took to it

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Listening to Michael Jackson’s Dangerous album in the car with my dad. I remember being enamored with the song ‘stranger in moscow’

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Snackbox was my schoolboy band. We did some covers and that. The man who sold the world, some Bloc Party, Thin Lizzy and Rage Against the Machine. Quite a broad range

 

Tell me about the genesis of Uragh. 

 

After covid I started putting out the feelers for a band. I had been practicing over the lockdown a lot and felt the time had come to join a band again. Eventually Marcelo contacted me and sent me some demos and I was blown away. I could be in a band that sounded like this. I learned those songs and met up with Marcelo and that was it. We found Seb and Craig over the next few months to complete our line up

 

What inspired the name Uragh?

 

Marcelo had visited the Uragh stone circle in County Kerry and liked the sound and look of the word. He named the demo we worked off on soundcloud this, and eventually when we were trying to find a name we decided hey, why not use it as a band name.


How long did it take you to write and record Maelstrom?

 

Marcelo composes a majority and we add our own flair. This process took about a year or so. Then about a week or so to record.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Of all time probably Pantera. Just because as an angsty teenager their fuck you attitude really was the coolest thing for me. Any time my Mam would give out to me I would go up and listen to Strength Beyond Strength and beat up my pillows.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Ah there's probably a bunch of these to be honest. The first time I heard Deftones I wished I had written the whole of their Adrenaline album. I'll specifically go with 7 words for this one. I had never heard anything as dark and disturbed. And the guitars in the chorus sounded like alarms going off or something. It really gave me the goosebumps.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Yeah plenty. Mainly electronic music like Drum and bass, old school dubstep, ambient. Anything weird, warp records type stuff. Aphex Twin, Venetian snares, square pusher, Luke Vibert. Also don't mind a bit of trap hip hop. Not into old school hip hop tho.

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

I would've said Come To Daddy by Aphex Twin but Dillinger Escape Plan done it. So I'll go with humble by Kendrick Lamar.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

There's a bunch really so I feel bad naming just one. But I will. Hashmaker from Cork really left a mark. They have a hectic style and their music is really engaging and offers so much variety. For such young fellas they really got something there.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?


Not particularly. I've played in Fibber Magees more than anywhere so I'll lean towards that but we really need more venues that cater to heavy music in Ireland. Hopefully we will discover some other venues around Ireland as we support our album in the coming months

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Just try not to drink too much. That's really the main one. It's awkward to do a warm up when you're sitting in a pub amongst the public waiting to go on stage.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Well we haven't really toured yet so to speak but have had a few day trips around the country. My favorite thing apart from playing shows is listening to music in the car with the lads. We each take turns to add songs to the queue. It gets our musical juices flowing and we get to show each other new stuff. And share our favorite hidden gems

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Probably the price of accommodation in Ireland. It's really depressing for the shittiest Hotel is top dollar at the moment. Makes it awkward as we aren't exactly spring chickens any more and can't handle the old just sleep on the floor of the venue or back of the car routine any more.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

As we haven't been around enough other locations yet I'll leave this one

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Well when we recorded in Belfast one of the local nations waited for us to pass a big puddle and drenched us with his car. He then pulled up beside us and said something to the effect of ‘Welcome to Belfast’. Lovely fella

 

The year is 2015.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 


I was living in Amsterdam and listening to a lot of Meshuggah around that time. I also discovered the prog metal band Intronaut around then. Great times.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Keep practicing, listening and going to gigs. Also make sure you are keeping fit as this will help you on stage (especially drummers)

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Unorganisation and lack of direction

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Honestly, no. But we have disagreed on specific parts. One bassline in our latest single Capsize Seb absolutely hated at the time of recording but we all loved. Now he loves it too

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

The Jason Hodgkins music festival 😏

 

I will headline with an hour long drum solo and underneath me on the bill are Meshuggah Tool and Deftones. Because they are the bands that I know their discographies in and out. And the fest is all about me after all. Also only I may attend

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Haven't had a bath in about 15 years. The thoughts of stewing in my own filth never sat well with me to be honest. Shower ftw

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I'm a big gamer since the original Nintendo days. More recently I have over 50 platinum trophies on PlayStation network

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Sure …

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Ludicrous. They sleep in their beds

 

Give me three albums that I should listen to immediately, if not sooner.

 

Mgla - exercises in futility

Cloudkicker - the discovery

Rivers of Nihil - Where owls know my name

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance. A go to driving album

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

I know this is a simulation and you're all in on it - volume 1

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

The one they remixed with Tool's ‘The Grudge’

 

Slipknot or Rammstein (if you had to choose)?

 

Slipknot always. Never big on industrial style but I am looking forward to seeing Rammstein put on a show this summer

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Well Doobies as I'm an ass man 🍑


Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

I never really have either and aren't both made of the same material? Waffles cos there's texture

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Trek as it had valuable lessons and commentary on society

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Love my Down tshirt. Bought in 2009 and still going strong

 

Favorite meal?

 

Jellied Eel and fried sprouts

 

Favorite book?

 

The gulag archipelago

 

Favorite movie?

 

The shining

 

Favorite album?

 

Really? 1 album? I'll say Lateralus by Tool


Favorite video game?

 

Metal Gear Solid on ps1. Best story I've ever been told by far

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Heel Chris Jericho from early 2000s. Best on the mic and first ever undisputed champ

 

 

     Big thanks to Jason for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate you doing so.  As for the rest of you, if you are in the mood for a sonic beatdown (and why wouldn’t you be?) then click on the link so generously provided below and cram Uragh’s debut full-length into your ear holes. 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://uragh.bandcamp.com/album/maelstrom

Comments