A Fistful Of Questions With Clint From Idiot Robot & The Slumbering

     Vocalist.  Bassist.  Guitarist.  Tech enthusiast.  Wrestling aficionado!? This edition of Fistul of Questions goes out to Clint from Idiot Robot & The Slumbering.

 

What is your full name?

 

Clint Listing

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Not that you know of

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

Those words can not be spoken ever

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Idiot Robot- Grunge/ Heavy Indie Rock (Vocals, Guitar, Bass)

The Slumbering - Doom Noise (Solo Project) Signed to Aesthetic Death/Trepanation Recordings

Others in the works

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Bass Guitar for a Glam metal band called  A Split Second

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Playing the Battle of the Bands in NJ while I was in High School and we came in 2nd it was an interesting start to my musical madness.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

A Split Second

 

Tell me about the genesis of Idiot Robot. 

 

Ryan suckered me into this he has done a demo before asking me to play bass and do some vocals  and then it led to our Debut self titled and now “Anti Pop Culture”. We started mixing extreme metal and Indie rock we called it “Death Pop” and then got to the meat of it all mixing 90’s Grunge, Indie Rock and Melodic Punk.

 

What inspired the name Idiot Robot?

 

That was Ryan I came in after the name

 

How long did it take you to write and record Anti Pop Culture?

 

We recorded it in Ryan Studio at his place over 3-4 sessions took close to a year and half to get all 14 songs completed.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?


A band many of you would not even know. Cop Shoot Cop from NYC they made 3 of my fave records of all time. They were on Interscope for a while, before that a label called Black Cat.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

100 % God only knows by the Beach Boys that song is sonic and vocal perfection. Still gives me chills when I hear it

 

Do you have any non-rock musical inspirations?

 

Create Noise/ Industrial music with The Slumbering so already living that dream.

 

What’s a non-rock song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

I would love to cover “Mother we share” by Chvrches that song is brilliant.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

I got to open for Anathema at the Milwaukee metal fest that band is skilled, brilliant and powerful and masters at creating music

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

My Band Sulkweed played CBGB’s in NYC many many times that and Maxwells in Hoboken NJ were my faves

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

That was many moons ago so not anymore.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

When I did it was hanging out after the show with friends and exploring the Cities we were in.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

The wait to perform. Always made me crazy.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?


The Most fun places were Tampa FL and Columbus OH always had killer shows there.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Got stuck because of a mudslide in Asheville NC for two days on tour we had a blast with locals at a bar we found there.

 

The year is 1995.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

I was living in Haskell NJ and was listening to alot of Grunge and Noise Rock at the time like Jesus Lizard, Tar, Nirvana, TAD, Screaming Trees and Surgery.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

It’s all about Social Media, Good Singles for videos and spotify and the Merch. The Albums and Tours are just to get the merch and social media word out to get on good tour and press.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

There are 3 bands that are killer to me: Cop Shoot Cop, Devin Townsend and Neurosis. Those were life changing for me.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Happens a lot but someone will add something else and make it impressive . That is what mostly happens . They see something I didn’t and it works so well.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

I use to book shows. That is a nightmare. I'm going to pass on music fest but if I could book 3 bands to play an event I could open on it would be in 2024. Coheed and Cambria , Melvins and Bolt Thrower. I could die a happy man.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?


A week I’m not proud to say.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I’m very into Linux Computing and really a big tech nerd.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

I don't listen to a lot of Music podcasts. More Tech and Comics and Sci Fi stuff.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Unicorns don’t Sleep that's a silly question

 

Give me three albums that I should listen to immediately, if not sooner.

 

Neurosis- Through Silver in Blood

Melvins- Bullhead

Cop Shoot Cop- Ask Questions Later..

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Queen Best of you will never grow bored

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

Right Church Wrong Pew

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

You make me sad with this question. No Taylor Swift song ever!!!

 

Live or Pearl Jam (if you had to choose)?

 

Live made one perfect album . Pearl Jam is hit or miss

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

I feel it's going to end in the same troubles

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?


Waffles no question

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

I can't, I love both for different reasons.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Neurosis

 

Favorite meal?

 

Chicken Fried Steak and White gravy

 

Favorite book?

 

The DragonLance Chronicles 1st 3 books (it's one story)

 

Favorite movie?

 

Chronicles of Riddick

 

Favorite album?

 

The album I always come back to is Bleach by Nirvana

 

Favorite video game?

 

Not much of gamer but I’m old school and I love Gauntlet

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

You're Killing me here WCW, WWE, AEW, ROH , ECW its all different styles and they all gave me a fave. I’m going to Say though if I was to say anything there are Two through the years I love its HHH and  Edge ( Adam Copeland)

 

 

     Yuge thanks to Clint for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate you doing so.  As for the rest of you, please click on the link so generously provided below and cram Idiot Robot’s latest offering into thine ear holes! 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://idiotrobot.bandcamp.com/album/anti-pop-culture

Comments