A Ripple Conversation With Michael Webster

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

I usually get them when I’m recording, and producing! I love bringing a song to life, putting together the individual components to make something that perfectly compliments the song. I’m very proud of the music I’ve worked on!

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

Usually I’ll just have a guitar melody, or chord progression to work on - so the riff! I then try and just come up with some lyrics, some vocal melodies and then it all goes from there!

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

My main influence is probably Bob Dylan, Neil Young or Courtney Barnett, but I’m endlessly inspired by the music I listen to. Kendrick Lamar, Mac Miller, there’s a plethora of artists I enjoy!

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

Most of my songs are pretty much reflections of my life, or my thoughts - I’ve tried to write songs about things that I enjoy, such as topics of books or the such, but mostly it’s a reflection of my surroundings!

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

I’m originally from Preston, in the North of England. I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to tell that as my accent comes across quite heavily in my music!

 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

 

I’d love to write a soundtrack for Wuthering Heights. However, the movies haven’t been so great. Maybe one day they’ll get it right.

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

One song!!! So difficult to narrow down. I think I’d have to say It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding) by Bob Dylan. A lyrical masterpiece.


Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

Playing to a huge crowd that were so intently watching and so respectful at our album launch, the gig where my guitar just broke completely, that first gig back out of lockdown. Brilliant stuff.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

I actually play live more or less each week! I run a few events in the city and always do a lil set to open up. I love creating that connection with audiences, being able to share your music with them. Nothing like it.

 

What makes a great song?

 

If it makes you feel something.

 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

 

I’m pretty sure it was one about Charles Manson. I can’t really remember it now, but I remember reading a book about him? Probably best not to remember the first song I wrote, for my own piece of mind.

 

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 

The B-side to my sixth double single, “unacquainted strangers” - I absolutely loved producing that, bringing it all together and it’s a 7 minute long track with a huge guitar solo at the end. Why not?

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Phoebe Bridgers. An abundance of talent, and able to write the most interesting and intricate lyrics.

 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

I buy vinyls, but often stream for ease of access. I have a load of CDs too!

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

Jim Beam Red Stag… controversial but superb.

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

Action Records in Preston has been running for absolutely ages, and they’re a cornerstone of Preston’s music scene.

 

What's next for the band?

 

More gigs! More recording! Probably gonna take me a while to get it all out with all the other projects, but lots in the works!

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

A huge thank you for reading. :)

 

Comments