A Fistful Of Questions With Shaun Forshaw From Robot Death Monkey


     Bassist.  Vocalist.  Beast of Baghdad.  Professional Arm Wrestler!?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Robot Death Monkey’s very own frontman Shaun Forshaw. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Shaun Forshaw

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

The Beast Of Baghdad was the name I went under when i used to DJ at a Gangster Rap Night

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Robot Death Monkey (Stoner/Metal)

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

I started out trying to play the drums, I had the style but no talent.  

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

My dad is a massive music fan and he always had classic rock playing in the house Bob Dylan, Led Zep, Tom Petty & Jimi Hendrix. Growing up listening to that stuff, it must have embedded itself into mine and my siblings minds as we all play in rock bands now!

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Sylvanus (Prog / Metal)

I was on vocals with Travs (Guitar) and Sam (Drums) from RDM

We started off jamming Kyuss songs

 

Tell me about the genesis of Robot Death Monkey. 

 

RDM started in 2009 while building indoor skateparks with our pal Steve Ingle, while we were building I was blasting a lot of Earthless and Karma to Burn and we decided that we could try and make something like that ourselves and dedicated our music time to writing big riffs and having a good time.

 

What inspired the name Robot Death Monkey?

 

It’s from the invader zim cartoon, at some point zim was pissed off and screamed “where are my robot death monkeys” me and my brother both thought it would make a good band name

 

How long did it take you to write and record Intergalactic Party Powder?


It was written & recorded on and off over about a 6 month period in our own studio in Edinburgh. 

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

I would love to play bass with Neil Young & Crazy Horse those dudes looked like they had a grand old time

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

TBF I have written loads of riffs over the years, been super happy with it, taken it to the other guys in the band to jam and been told it’s already a song.  Think I’ve written most of black sabbath’s and clutch’s back catalogs over the years lol

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Gangster Rap & Country music anything from Wu tang Clan to Colter Wall

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

That’s an excellent question.  50 Cent - Many Men would be a belter

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

I’m a big fan of the bands Primitive Vices & The Kryss Talmeth Experience all from Scotland. Go check them out they are class

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

I like playing Festivals outside, nothing cooler on a summer's day drinking warm cans and enjoying some tunes

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

I always write the set list on a cat food box, think it adds to the tone of the evening.  I have a 6 pint limit before playing as I get a bit sloppy if I have too many beers, so trying not to get hammered is my main ritual. 

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?


Hanging out with the boiz

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Trying to get paid and hassling promoters for money

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Newcastle is always a cracking night

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

I once took the biggest shit of my life whilst squatting on the hard shoulder of the motorway after eating at a horrible turkish in glasgow.

 

The year is 1999.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

From what I remember I was into a lot of punk and grunge in my early years, things like Nirvana, Bad Religion and anything off a Tony Hawk Pro Skater soundtrack

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Go to gigs and talk to people

 

Sometimes less is more

 

What is an absolute killer band?  (note.. This question should have read what is an absolute band killer, but apparently somehow switched to what is a killer band???)

 

Karma to Burn is my all time favorite band. I have probably seen them 15 times over the years and was saddened by the recent passing of Will Mecum.  Check out their Live in London & still chasing the dragon CD! it's a banger

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?


No we are really vocal in our band if there is something not to like it is hammered out immediately!

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Bantha Fest 2022

 

1000 Mods - Fu Manchu - The GZA

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

2 days I’ve got long hair and a massive beard if I don't wash them they go weird

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I could have been a professional arm wrestler.  I’ve got a god given talent for the art but I hate going to the gym 

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Hell yeah keep spreading the riffs

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Unicorns don’t sleep there too busy

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Sleep - Holy Mountain

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

How to talk to your cat about knife crime

 

What is your favorite song by Liam Gallagher?

 

Rock and roll star or slide away

 

Clutch or SLEEP (if you had to choose)?

 

Clutch

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies


Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Pancakes

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Acid bath Paegan Terrorism Tactics

 

Favorite meal?

 

Veggie Curry

 

Favorite book?

 

Into the wild

 

Favorite movie?

 

Big Trouble In little China or The Blues Brothers

 

Favorite album?

 

Sleep - Holy Mountain

 

Favorite video game?

 

God of war

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Used to like Mankind when he jammed a dirty sock down someone's throat.

 

     Huge (say it with a Y sound for fun) thanks to Shaun for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Here are three reasons that you should listen to Robot Death Monkey;

 

1- I played them on the Fistful of DOOM show.  Need I say more?

2- They have an album called Big Pussy.  What else do I need to say?

3- They have a song called Kittens and Coke.  Are you fucking kidding me?

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://robotdeathmonkey.bandcamp.com/album/intergalactic-party-powder

Comments