A Fistful Of Questions With Albert And William Of Hostilia

     Drummer.  Guitarist.  Brothers.  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Albert and William of Hostilia. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Albert: Albert Lindeblad

 

William: William Lindeblad

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Albert: On Instagram my nickname is albertthedrummer, but I don’t really have an alias.

 

William: Nope, I don’t have one either.

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

Albert: I don’t know. Probably something from a horror movie. Something that would fit a member of a thrash metal band.

 

William: Yes, probably. Or an action movie from the 80’s or something. Maybe the name of a character in an old Schwarzenegger movie. But we kind of like our names, so having an alias or not has never really been an issue.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Albert: It’s Hostilia all the way for us! When it comes to playing we always think “What’s best for Hostilia?”, and we take it from there.


William: Yes for sure! We’re still in an early stage in our career. To start having another project right now would take focus off what really matters to us, and that’s Hostilia.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Albert: I was always interested in playing drums. I started when I was about eleven. My grandfather bought me a digital drum kit. It didn’t sound that good from the start when I tried to learn just easy beats. But when I started to imitate songs from bands that I loved like Metallica, that’s when it became fun and I quickly became better at it.

 

William: I got a cheap guitar one Christmas when I was about 9 or something. But my fingers hurt, so I put it away for a couple of years to our parents' disappointment. But one day I just picked it up and it kind of started to sound good. Then I also started to play songs by bands I loved early on like AC/DC and Kiss.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Albert: It’s kind of hard to say because there’s always been a lot of music at home, especially rock and metal. Our dad is a journalist who’s covered metal music in Sweden for many years, so the music’s always been there. I was obsessed with the Kiss movie “Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park” when I was about four. I’ve seen it more times than I can count haha.

 

William: You really had a thing for that movie and you dressed up as Gene Simmons and made Ace Frehley moves with a plastic toy guitar. It looked really funny haha. But I have a soft spot for that movie as well. It’s really great in a corny kind of way. I had a thing for Eddie Van Halen early on. And the second time I picked up the guitar I started to try to imitate “Eruption”, Eddie’s guitar solo on their debut album. Perhaps not the easiest choice of song to start with haha.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Albert: I’m only 15 now, so Hostilia’s been my only band.

 

William: My first band was called “Heddless”. It’s misspelled I know, but we liked how it looked. We made a demo with that band. 1 song got recorded.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Hostilia. 


Albert: I had a band with two guys whom I found in a Facebook group for people looking for other musicians to play with. We were super young so we were pretty much just having fun in the rehearsal room. The songs we had were stuff kids come up with really no structure when they are sort of just playing with the instruments. But I quickly became a much better drummer during that period.

 

William: I was in the band Heddless and our drummer suddenly wasn’t that interested. Then I figured that using my skilled brother could be a smooth way to replace him. But Hostilia was a much better name than Heddless, so we kind of invited Albert to join us and to bring the band name. No one of the old Heddless guys are in Hostilia today.

 

What inspired the name Hostilia?

 

Albert: One of the kids I was playing with came up with the band name “Hostilia Attack” when we talked about what we were going to call ourselves. Then I said “Hostilia, that’s it!”, and we skipped the word “attack”. Hostilia is latin for “hostile”.

 

William: Our dad is an old friend of Niklas Sundin who used to play guitar in Dark Tranquillity. He is also an awesome graphic designer who’s done hundreds of album covers for bands. Our dad asked Niklas if he’d like to come up with a logo for Hostilia. That was back when Albert was playing with those kids. So we had the logo even before the real Hostilia was formed.

 

Do you have a full-length album release on the horizon?

 

Albert: We are going to record some new songs in February and then present them to record labels. You can do a lot of stuff yourself, but to really grow you need the machinery of a dedicated label who are pros on what they do.

 

William: The new songs are really good. We can’t wait to record them! We are definitely ready to take Hostilia to the next level, and to see if we can find a match with a company that shares our vision of where we want to take the band.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Albert: Stewart Copeland from The Police is a great inspiration, an awesome drummer.

 

William: Mark Knopfler is a fantastic guitarist. David Gilmour is also amazing.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?


Albert: The self-titled debut by Mercy, a band featuring Messiah Marcolin who would join Candlemass.

 

William: The solo album by At The Gates guitarist Anders Björler called “Antikythera”. It is totally magical.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Albert: I have a shirt with the cover of the Pantera album “Metal Magic”. I love that one!

 

William: I have a white “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son” Iron Maiden t-shirt which is a real favorite of mine.

 

Favorite movie?

 

Albert: “Friday The 13th - Part VI” is a killer movie. (Pun intended!)

 

William: “National Lampoon’s Vacation”. Chevy Chase is the man!

 

Kreator or Iron Maiden (if you had to choose)?

 

Albert: Kreator!

 

William: Iron Maiden!

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Albert: Star Wars.

 

William: Star Wars.

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?


Albert: I would say Nacho, the Jack Black character in the movie “Nacho Libre”.

 

William: Then I will go for Clubber Lang, played by Mr. T in “Rocky III”. He’s perhaps not a professional wrestler, but he’s great anyway.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Albert: It’s definitely #1!

 

William: It’s beyond top 10 scales. It’s in a league of its own haha!

 

 

     Big thanks to Albert and William for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  If you have not yet had the pleasure of hearing Hostilia then please take the time to do so.  They are absolute fire! 

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://open.spotify.com/album/76AsFNflYbSk4dGFwE27S1?si=ZS3THyqjR3aY7UAOVv-CeQ

Comments