A Fistful Of Questions With Eric Aittala Of Aittala

     Guitarist.  Vocalist.  Black Belt!?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Aittala frontman Eric. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Eric Aittala

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

None

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Only Aittala

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Guitar

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Listening to AM radio in the 70s and hearing songs like Toto’s ‘Hold the Line’ and Little River Band ‘Lonesome Loser’. Just reminds me of the back seat of my Mom’s Car.

And some Neil Diamond in there as well…that reminds me of my Dad’s car.

Around the same time, I had a neighbor that was an ‘older kid’ and he was into KISS and that hooked me on harder rock.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

In high school, had a few band names like Threshold, Brokken Heart and Zero Discipline. But those bands were just ideas me and my drummer friend had. I would consider the first ‘real’ band I was in with that same drummer was when I was a senior called Malichi (took it from the movie Children of the Corn). We played a whopping one gig.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Aittala. 


First, a lesson on how to pronounce it correctly since I know your readers are wondering.  It’s pronounced 'eye-tah-la' with emphasis on the first syllable.  It’s Finnish in origin.

The original incarnation of Aittala was formed in 1991 while I was stationed in Holland with the US military. The band was starting to gain some traction on the Dutch metal scene, but, after a couple years, I had to leave Holland as my military contract ended and the band was inactive for 15 years (by my choice)

In 2008 after relocating to North Carolina, I decided the time was right to resurrect the band and have been active ever since releasing 6 full length albums (including the upcoming album) along with 1st EP (released in 1993).

 

What inspired the name Aittala?

 

The band name is my last name.  But, ironically, I didn’t originally name the band. Back in 1991 when I was in Holland, I formed the band with an American singer (his wife was in the military) and a couple Dutch guys. I already had quite a few original songs written and we were learning those songs as we were organizing the band.

It came time to decide on a band name. We tossed around numerous names, but either the name was taken or it didn’t seem to fit the style of music (sometimes band names immediately classify a band’s genre). Then the singer said, ‘let’s just call it ‘Aittala’ since we’re playing the songs you wrote and it’s a cool name no one has…and here we are!

 

How long did it take you to write and record Live to Regret?

 

The writing actually went really quick. I think the whole thing was written in less than a year, 2020 into 2021.

It actually was originally supposed to have been released at the end of 2021 or early 2022, but a few things happened that held up the recording (life got in the way). So it took over a year to record it.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

This is a tough one. Instead of a specific band, I wished I had been old enough and lived in or around LA in the early 80s.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

I’ve never had this type of desire because if I had written it, it wouldn’t have been the same song.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

I like alot of genres of music other than metal. I’m a huge fan of rap and hip hop (to much dismay of metalheads). Even though those influences aren’t there in an obvious way sonically, they’re still there spiritually.

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

We actually used to do a cover of Berlin’s ‘Metro’. If you don’t know Berlin, they were an early 80s new wave band. Even though the song is done with synths, it’s a very heavy riff.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Can’t really think of any at the moment…

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

In the Raleigh area, it’s the Lincoln Theatre.


Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

For me, I kind of like to be alone away from people for a little bit. Just warm my voice up and hang out.

Right before we hit the stage, a shot of Jager with the band.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Playing in new places and meeting/making new fans.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Sleeping. It takes me a while to get comfortable in a bus or RV to sleep well. I envy people that can sleep anywhere at any time.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Nothing really stands out as far as a particular city. We’re hoping to get back to Europe again soon. It’s fun exploring the different cities.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

I don’t know if it’s the weirdest, but definitely interesting….

So we were on a 5 band tour in Europe (mostly Germany). One of the bands was a 2 man death metal band and 1 of the guys was this short dude in his 60s that played classical piano and he would dress as a mortician for the shows and wore these KISS like boots with platform heels.

The bus would stop at rest stops where we could stretch our legs and shower, etc. Before we left a rest stop, the road manager would do a head count to be sure everyone was on the bus.

We got to a particular venue and maybe after a couple of hours, we see the old dude walking down the street towards the venue in his KISS boots. We were like ‘where the fuck was he at?’

Well, at the last rest stop that was probably 4 or so hours behind us, we left without him and he told the tale of how he found a train station at a city that was close to the rest stop, found the train to the city of the next show (he had his tour lanyard on him that had the city and dates) and took the train to this city we were in. He didn’t take his cell phone into the rest stop and luckily had some money on him.

It seems someone just vouched for him at headcount and thought he was sleeping in his bunk because the curtain was closed…no one saw him get off the bus…

It was crazy to hear his story, but he was an older dude like I said, so he had life experience under his belt and didn’t freak out.

 

The year is 1989.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

I was in Japan in the military. Some albums I remember listening to:

Metallica - …And Justice for All

King Diamond - Conspiracy

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of the Seventh Son

Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Don’t get into a band thinking you’ll get rich or famous.

Play music you love and write organically and don’t try to be part of what’s trendy.

 

What is an absolute band killer?


Mastodon

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

No, I’m the main songwriter.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

It would be called ‘Eric’s Heavy Petting Zoo’ and the 3 headliners would be:

1986 Metallica

1977 KISS

2022 Aittala

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Maybe 3 or 4 days. I’m an amateur.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I hold a black belt in the martial art of Hapkido.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

There’s only 1 number one spot…Fistful of DOOM!

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

I’ve heard unicorns don’t sleep.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Aittala - Live to Regret

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

My Life Working at the Heavy Petting Zoo

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

I can only name one; Shake It Off.


Sleep or YOB (if you had to choose)?

 

I must be old…I don’t know what YOB is…I’ll take sleep for $200 Alex.

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

I’ll just eat edibles and motorboat boobies.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles. Especially those cheap hotel ones you can make on the waffle iron.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Trek. Only because they did a better job at keeping it relevant over the years with different series (some better than others)

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

Believe it or not, I don’t own any band t-shirts. Just not my thing to wear.

 

Favorite meal?

 

Authentic Mexican…chicken Enchiladas

 

Favorite book?

 

Anything by Clive Barker (except The Scarlet Gospels).

 

Favorite movie?

 

12 Monkeys

 

Favorite album?

 

Accept - Metal Heart

 

Favorite video game?

 

Not sure I have a favorite, but I’m a Playstation guy.

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

There were a few times I watched wrestling regularly. The early days of WWF and WWE from about 98-2002ish. The Attitude Era of WWE was amazing.

I can’t pick one…it would be a toss up of Stone Cold, the Rock, Mick Foley (Mankind was his best character, but all 3 were great in their own way) and Undertaker. 

 

 

     Big thanks to Eric for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Click on over and wrap your ears around Aittala’s latest release Live To Regret.  You will be glad that you did.

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente

 

https://aittala.bandcamp.com/album/live-to-regret

Comments