A Fistful Of Questions With Bestial Goatphomet From Legendarium


     Vocalist.  Guitarist.  Bassist. Ladies and gentlemen this edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Legendarium’s leading man Bestial Goatphomet of the Blackest Eternal Night. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Laurence Kerbov

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Nope

 

If you had an alias what might it be?

 

BESTIAL GOATPHÖMET OF THE BLACKEST ETERNAL NIGHT, TERRÖRIZER OF THE WAR-PUNISHED SHEOL OF EVIL

(Interviewers note…. Hmmmm.. I’m not sure any of those are gonna stick)

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

I am currently in the powerdeath band Legendarium and in the funeral doom band Lymbolic Scythe

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Guitar, first acoustic for a few years and then I switched to electric. When I started Legendarium I started playing bass, keyboards, and singing.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

When I was about 14-15 in high school I used to play in a cover band in high school where we would cover Overkill and Tenacious D songs. Was lots of fun, and may be where the idea of starting a band was formed.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Jurian’s Moeder

 

Tell me about the genesis of Legendarium. 

 

Back in 2017 when I was a 17-year old kid in college I wanted to make music of my own but I didn’t know where to start or how to find bandmates. I live in a very rural area where metal drummers, bassists, and singers are very hard to find. I also wanted to do as much as possible myself because I was very insecure about my musical skills. I figured since I could play guitar I’d be able to play bass as well. And I could learn how to sing as well. That left only the drums to be taken care of. So I went to /r/drums on Reddit to ask whether anyone would be willing to record drums for me and Stefano responded. At that point the band was formed. 

 

What inspired the name Legendarium?

 

I found it on Tolkien’s Wikipedia page and I felt that it perfectly described what I wanted to do with the band. The band is very fantasy-inspired and all the songs are stories, so all the stories combined would be my own legendarium, the way Tolkien’s books are his.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Death’s Hand In Yours?

 

I started writing the album in March 2022, and wrote and recorded all the instrumentals during the spring and summer. Then I mixed and mastered it all in September. So in total it took about 6 months to write, record, mix, and master the whole album.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Kvelertak, because they are amazing musicians, play great metal, and seem like they have a lot of fun. I’d have to learn Norwegian first though!

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Basically everything on Children of Bodom’s “Follow the Reaper”. It is absolutely mindblowing that Alexi wrote all those songs when he was just 21 years old. It’s an album every metal guitarist should be listening to.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Many! I may be inspired by more non-metal than metal. Especially punk bands like Bad Brains, Misfits, Bad Religion, and the Damned, but also a lot of rock acts such as Sisters of Mercy, Roky Erickson, and Buckethead.

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?


More by The Sisters of Mercy. It’s such a cool song, and has such a badass vibe that I think it’d work really well as a metal song.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

None, I’ve never played live.

 

The year is 2012.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

I am a 12-year old kid in highschool just discovering Metallica for the first time and losing my mind at the music video for Dragonforce’s Through The Fire And Flames

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

You will suck at everything for the first while, but that’s okay. The only way to stop sucking at everything is to just keep doing music so you slowly become better.

 

Oh, and never ever pay for a review. Reviewers who ask bands to pay them to review their music are all scammers. And if any label approaches you with an offer contact an experienced musician and ask if the deal is fair. You will be so inexperienced and blinded by excitement that you won’t be able to tell if you’re getting ripped off or not.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Ego.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Nope, that’s the benefit of being the sole songwriter in the band. :)

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Kvelertak, The Halo Effect, Unto Others

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Few years (I have a shower)

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I am almost completely deaf in my left ear.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Of course ;)

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

No, they all sleep on the clouds.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Beatles - White Album. Nice and long, varied as hell, and almost every song is legendary.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

The Legendary Legend of Legendarium (Legends)

 

What is your favorite song by Styx?

 

There is no such thing as a good Styx song.

 

In Flames or Children of Bodom (if you had to choose)?

 

Children of Bodom. I love the first 5 In Flames albums more than anything, but from 2002 to 2022 In Flames didn’t release a single good album.

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies


Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Trek

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

My 4-sided Hekseblad long sleeve

 

Favorite meal?

 

Shoarma

 

Favorite book?

 

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

 

Favorite movie?

 

The Lord Of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

 

Favorite album?

 

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

 

Favorite video game?

 

Fallout New Vegas or Dark Souls 2

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Rey Mysterio

 

 

     Many thanks to Laurence for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Please follow the link included and put your ears to Legendarium’s latest offering Death’s Hand In Yours.  You will not be disappointed. 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://legendarium.bandcamp.com/album/deaths-hand-in-yours

Comments