A Fistful Of Questions With Nicholas Golden From GLDN

     Guitarist.  Film scorer.  Pattern obsessor.  Murderer!?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to GLDN mastermind Nicholas Golden. 

 

What is your full name?

 

Nicholas Golden

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

I guess the only one I’d really have is GLDN.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

The only band I’m actively involved with at the moment is my own, GLDN, but I’d love to work with some other bands in the future, depending on my capacity to multitask.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Funny you should ask that - the first instrument I played was guitar, and that was about three years ago. Unless you count playing the piano as a kid without really knowing what I was doing.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

I think my favorite musical memory would have to be when I started to compose my own music. I’ve always been very obsessed with patterns - strings of numbers, events, really anything that displays a repetitive nature that can be at least somewhat predictable. While I’ve been involved with music my entire life, I didn’t really recognize the compositional patterns until I started writing it myself.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

GLDN is the first and only band I’ve been in.

 

Tell me about the genesis of GLDN. 

 

GLDN originated at a point in my life where I felt very lost. I knew I needed an outlet to express myself, and I knew it was going to be something related to performance. I’d been moving all over the country, looking for a purpose. After a stint in LA, I moved back to Brooklyn, and I just sort of started making music as a pastime. I became obsessed with it pretty quickly, and it became my main focus by the following year. There were times where I considered joining other bands, but I knew that I wanted to be in a space where I could express my own thoughts and feelings without the interference of anyone else. That may sound selfish, and maybe I am, but I prefer to write music alone for the most part. There have been a few instances where I’ve written a song with a creative partner, but I always try to maintain control of the concept and sound. So, with that in mind, I began looking for band members that could bring the music to life with me on stage. I was lucky to find people who believed in my vision for the music.

 

What inspired the name GLDN?

 

The name GLDN was actually a point of much contention. While I did originally come up with the name, that was when I was planning to be a solo artist and I was mostly creating dark synthesizer-based music (similar to Depeche Mode). I didn’t feel it really fit the band aesthetic, but my bandmates convinced me to keep it. I’d written a very long list of somewhat cringeworthy names that just didn’t seem to stick, so we stuck with GLDN.

 

How long did it take you to write and record First Blood?

 

Overall, the writing and recording process for First Blood took about two and a half years. It was definitely not a straight line. The first song written for the EP was the title track, and I wrote and recorded it in fall of 2019. What you hear on the EP is mostly the original recording, save for the bassline, which I re-recorded about a month before the EP was released.

 

The rest of the EP came about over the course of 2021-2022. In 2020, I wrote an entire concept album, but I felt like I would be doing it a disservice if I released it first. So in 2021, I started recording songs for an EP. Conceptually, First Blood is quite a bit more personal than the concept album I wrote, but I do feel that it will tie into the overall story that I’ve created for that album.

 

By the end of 2021, I had recorded Gravedigger, our first single, and Ripe. Then, in early-mid 2022, I recorded This Must Be The Place, (harmful if swallowed), and Parasite.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?


That’s honestly a really difficult question to answer. There are plenty of bands I’d loved to have been a part of. But if I have to choose one, I guess I’d say Nine Inch Nails? I realize that it’s not exactly a band in the traditional sense, but I think I like that because GLDN is very similar in that way.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

There are several:

 

Marilyn Manson - Irresponsible Hate Anthem

Nine Inch Nails - Somewhat Damaged

Alice In Chains - Them Bones

Poppy - Bloodmoney

 

And if we are including non-rock/metal:

 

Clint Mansell - Death Is the Road To Awe

 

Do you have any non-metal/industrial musical inspirations?

 

Oh, absolutely. I listen to so much music. Some of the artists from outside the world of metal that I find most inspiring are Hole, Clint Mansell, Utada Hikaru, Thom Yorke, Bjork, Tinashe (particularly the album “Nightride”), Portishead, Milla Jovovich, Hiroyuki Sawano, and Curve. There are so many that it was hard to make a list. I’m really inspired by anything and everything I listen to.

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

 Well, on our upcoming remix album, “Hemophilia”, we did two covers of non-metal songs: “Animal” by Antinowhere League and “#1 Crush” by Garbage. If I had to pick another, currently I’d say “Lovefool” by The Cardigans. That was a song that we also considered covering for the upcoming album.

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

There are a couple of bands we’ve played with in the past from the area that have really left an impression on us. I’d say the two that immediately come to mind are Cronies and CONTRACT.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

So far, I’d say my favorite venue to play at is The Nest. It’s this tiny basement dive bar/performance space in Brooklyn, and the energy there is always insane.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?


Sometimes a shot of something to take the edge off. Maybe a seance or a blood sacrifice. Otherwise, not really anything worth mentioning.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

We haven’t toured yet, but if you’re a touring band looking for an opener, hit me up. Definitely something we are looking to do in the very near future.

 

The year is 2012.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

I’m living in LA, and I’m probably listening to Evanescence, Marilyn Manson, or The Pretty Reckless.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Well, I would say we are still just starting out, but I’ve learned quite a bit over the last few years, regardless. First and foremost - find a circle of people whose opinions you trust. You need friends that will give you honest feedback and constructive criticism. They don’t have to be music connoisseurs, either, because you want the opinion of a regular listener. You’ll never improve unless people are honest with you.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

A band member with a know-it-all, holier-than-thou attitude. Unfortunately, I’m no stranger to that kind of behavior. It just kills the mood and brings everyone’s energy down.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

Yes, and we still perform it, but our next show will actually be the last time we do. It was the first song I ever wrote when I got a guitar, and I personally think it’s fucking horrible. The band loves it for some reason.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

I’d probably name it something like “Halfway To Hell”. Or maybe that’s our next album title. Who knows! The headlining bands would be Nine Inch Nails, Poppy, and Korn.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

These questions are getting a little kinky. Not that long, though. Despite my appearance, I shower every day. Sorry to disappoint anyone with a fetish.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

Most people don’t know that I’m currently on trial for first degree murder. Just joking. Maybe.

 

I’m pretty passionate about scoring films, which a lot of people may not know.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?


Top 10? Don’t you mean top 3?

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

I hope not, that sounds really uncomfortable.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

That’s probably a toss-up between Antichrist Superstar and The Great Southern Trendkill.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

“Dirty, Rotten, Decayed”

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

“Look What You Made Me Do”. I’m a contrarian, so any time there’s something controversial or polarizing, I tend to love it.

 

Korn of Deftones (if you had to choose)?

 

I love them both, but I’d probably choose Korn.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Pancakes.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Not a big fan of either, but I guess I’d choose Star Trek. How could I not choose something that involves Patrick Stewart?

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

This one:


Favorite meal?

 

The blood of the innocent usually hits the spot, but I’ll settle for Japanese curry.

 

Favorite book?

 

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami or The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand.

 

Favorite movie?

 

The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky) or Melancholia (Lars von Trier)

 

Favorite album?

 

Antichrist Superstar (Manson) or The Fragile (NIN)

 

Favorite video game?

 

Resident Evil 7

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

When I was a kid, I had a “Stone Cold” Steve Austin action figure.

 

     Mucho thanks to Nicholas for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  I have had the distinguished pleasure of listening to the First Blood EP and the unreleased new album Hemophilia (perks of the job).  They are both worthy of your time and attention.  My suggestion is that you follow the link included and snag the EP to tide you over until the full-length releases. 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

https://gldn.bandcamp.com/album/first-blood

Comments