A Fistful Of Questions With Derek Vorndran From Post.Recordings

     Guitarist.  Record label executive.  Festival Director.  Bears fan!  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Derek Vorndran.    

 

What is your full name?

 

Derek Vorndran

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

no

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

All artists signed with Post.Recordings

 

Do you play any musical instruments and if so.. What instrument?

 

Guitar

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Seeing Jimmy Eat World live at the Egyptian Room in Indianapolis, IN 2002.

 

What was the name of the first band you signed to your label?

 

Seeress from Cleveland, OH (Post Rock / Post Metal)

 

Tell me about the genesis of Post.Recordings. 

 

The label started out after doing Post. Festival the first year in 2018.  There were a lot of bands we got to know from those who played, to those who submitted to play.  We just wanted to be an outlet and partner in helping release music in this genre

 

What inspired the name Post.Recordings? 

 

From our festival name.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Post.Festival? 

 

Post. Fest was created after working with the band PILLARS from my previous label In Store Recordings.  They were the first post rock band I had worked with.  And after doing a couple releases with them, the “genre” of post rock had a huge community and was lacking some kind of representation in the US.  There wasn’t anything with a focus on this genre fest wise in the US.  So I partnered with the bassist of PILLARS (Nason Frizzell) and we decided to put an event together and it’s still going on since 2018.

 

What is all involved in setting up a musical festival?

 

I don’t know if there is a way to properly answer this question without writing a book.  But learning to work with a ton of different people is the biggest learning curve.  From booking the venue, the bands, their agents, vendors, sponsors, etc.

 

What’s more satisfying… running a record label or a music festival?

 

I really enjoy both but running a festival for sure adds way more stress to my life.  Hoping you sell enough tickets to maybe break even is not a fun reminder to have on a daily basis.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Band:  The Appleseed Cast

Reason:  Musically, they are a great mix of post rock, emo, and alternative/indie rock.   On top of the great lyrical writing by Chris, it would be a band I would love to be involved with.  And obviously, I love every record they’ve come out with.

 

What band have you witnessed live that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

I just recently saw Chris Isaacs perform in a theater.  The musicianship, showmanship, and in between song banter.  I was just completely blown away and it reminded me of how shows were done in the 60’s.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to see live shows at?

 

No.  But I for sure prefer to see bands in smaller to medium sized venues.

 

The year is 2006.  Where are you at and what are you listening to?



I’m in college at Indiana State. 

 

I would be listening to The Black Keys, Kings of Leon, Bloc Party, The National, My Morning Jacket, The Kills, The Roots, Thursday, Broken Social Scene, Queens of the Stone Age, Angus and Julie Stone, and White Stripes.  I wish I could remember more of the bands I was following on Myspace.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Don’t take shortcuts on your music and artwork.  Whether it's one song or a whole album,  work with a professional or studio and have your music recorded professionally.  Do it right the first time.  Unless you have the knowledge and or gear to sound/look good.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Probably at least 5 days.  Army basic training back in 2003

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I like to drive late at night and scream/sing Dashboard Confessional songs

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Never heard of it

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Yes, so they can be ready to run at all times.  Because according to the movie Legend, it makes them a target of the Lord of Darkness, who wishes to use their horns to rule the world and create an eternal night. 

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

The guy who does music stuff and is always in debt…  What’s the point

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

Never listened to Taylor other than a time she’s on the radio. 

 

Metallica or Megadeth (if you had to choose)?

 

Metallica

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?



Waffles

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars, but Disney is ruining it for me.  But I’ll keep watching like a dummy

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

My Protomartyr shirts

 

Favorite meal?

 

Sushi

 

Favorite book?

 

I don’t read

 

Favorite movie?

 

No way I could ever pick.  But here are a couple of my favorites:

 

Gone Girl

Ex Machina

The Life Of David Gale

Road Trip

The Usual Suspects

Jackie Brown

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels / Snatch

 

Favorite album?

 

Also no way I could ever pick.  But here are a couple of my favorites:

 

Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)

Protomartyr - Under Color Of Official Right / The Agent Intellect

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory

Toe - The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety

Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

The Appleseed Cast - Mare Vitalis / Peregrine

 

Favorite video game?

 

Any and all Mario games

 

Favorite Professional Wrestler?

 

Never got into wrestling

 

 

      Many thanks to Derek for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  If you are looking for a healthy dose of post rock then look no further than Post.Recordings.  Seriously, click on over and throw some support their way! 

 

 

El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

 

 

 

https://post-recordings.bandcamp.com/

Comments