A Fistful Of Questions With Chase Hamilton From Citizen Rage

     Saskatchewanian.  Dog lover.  Drummer.  Tour virgin?!  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Citizen Rage’s very own Chase Hamilton.

 

What is your full name?

 

Chase Lynden Lee Hamilton

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

My Dad calls me “Sal”, he came up with it on a road trip when I was 14, his is Frank

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Currently, Citizen Rage and another band that's just getting started,we're called Sharpshooter

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Guitar, but I broke my wrist shortly after and never really picked it back up. Not long after that I got addicted to the Drums through Guitar Hero and Rockband 

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Before I could play in actual venues my first shows were in my garage. The last show we did, we had lights, lazers, fog and everything, and I live basically across the street from a bar. The people across the street see the lights, they see everyone having a good time, and a few decide to come check it out. So one of my friends had told her parents they were going to stay at a friend's house for the night, classic. So when her mom showed up with the other people from the bar she pulled off some sort of vanishing act, I never even saw her leave.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Detherous, it's a Death Metal band in case the “Deth” in the name didn't give it away. They’re still around, still kicking ass, they’ve got a really deadly album coming out soon and they're gonna be touring Canada the same time as us 

 

Tell me about the genesis of Citizen Rage.  

 

I wasn't around for the genesis so I'll have to quote our lead singer Mark Russell

 

"When we started CR we had come out of a couple bands that we laid to rest cause we were tired of being a violent scrappy piss and Shit joke kind of band. The decision was to use our platform to invoke change and positivity within our scene. Mikey, our now bass player, had seen us play our first gig in my basement.  We were still figuring out our sound at the time and I had written the same old piss and Shit edgy lyrics. Mikey pulled me off to the side and hit me with some reality. He said you're better than this, and you can do better than this. That sparked a really big light in me. And from there on I wrote songs about current events, childhood trauma, mental health issues, anti-racism, anti-bullying and many more."

 

What inspired the name Citizen Rage?

 

This ones another for Mark

 

"The name was originally Citizend Rage, our first guitar player Skid Row Scotty came up with the name. We actually used that name for our first gig. But it sounded dumb so we went with Citizen Rage instead. Our inspiration came from the social climate we all live in. We are forced to work until death, taxes and basic living costs skyrocket every year, our current system shows us nothing but hatred & bigotry. And trying to navigate all of that makes people angry. That’s a basic idea of how we came up with Citizen Rage, we are citizens in this corrupt environment and the only way we can get them to listen is to show them our rage."

 

Do you have a new album in the works?

 

Yes we do, It's called “Harsh Reality”,  it’s been in the works for quite a while now, but it’s gonna be coming out fairly soon. It's Citizen Rage’s first Full Length and it's an absolute banger, everyone really brought everything they had to the table. We’ve been having fun teasing little bits of the songs and some of the album art in our posts, but we promise it's coming soon…

 

You guys will be hitting the road soon with Dayglo Abortions.  Tell me a little bit about that and how fucking psyched are you?

 

PRETTY PSYCHED! It’s honestly difficult to put into words, this will be the band's first cross Canada tour, that alone has us excited. The fact that we’re doing that as support for Canadian Punk legends Dayglo Abortions has us going fuckin’ bananas. After all the craziness of the past 2 years, getting an opportunity to hit the road with a band like Dayglo is like a dream.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Iron Maiden, think of all the drum fills! Mastodon would be a close second, again think of the fills

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Institutionalized By Suicidal Tendencies, the drum fill that starts it off gets me.

 

Do you have any non-punk musical inspirations?


Tons! I'm a metalhead at heart, most of my main influences are thrash bands, all the big four get me going. When it comes to music I like a little of everything.  I listen to a lot of jazz too, especially fusion 

 

Is there a pop song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

New Rules By Dua Lipa.  I’ve been trying to get it done for like a year, I've seen some rad covers of it on youtube. I'm also working on a J-Pop cover right now!

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Bogue Brigade, I was fan before I got to play on the same bill as them

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Dickens! They have a really nice stage and lots of space for gear and merch, and the staff is so nice! I love their lighting rig too, top notch if you ask the lighting nerd in me

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

1.Stretch

2.Practice Pad for a half hour

3.Smoke Joint

4. Locate Pitcher of Water

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

This will actually be my first tour ever! So I’m going to preemptively say seeing all of Canada for the first time, and meeting new people all along the way

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Not seeing my dogs! They're names are Jon Bon and Murphy in case you're wondering

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Anywhere in Saskatchewan.  I’m from Regina and most of my family lives there

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Oh boy, we’ll find out soon!

 

The year is 2001.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

I’m 3 years old.  I’m living rent free and listening to solo Ozzy Osbourne because no one showed me Black Sabbath yet.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Take videos! Watching videos of my practices helps me make huge improvements! Even if you don’t post them anywhere, you'll be glad you have them one day .

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

I always used to think the studio was an aggravating process.  Then, I went in with Citizen Rage and it was completely painless!

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

I wasn’t a big fan of the first song I recorded in studio. Then we got the song back and it was even worse

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?



“Pick A Lane Fest”

 

Archspire

Snarky Puppy

The Offspring

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Maybe 3-4 days.  Who wants a smelly Drummer

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

Very few people know that I'm half decent at baking.  I love making cakes and decorating them.  I make pretty deadly doughnuts too.  More people would know if I didn't inhale everything I make

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

It is now!

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Only when they need to make a quick escape

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Just the song Bad Company off the album Bad Company By the band Bad Company

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

 "Too weird to live, too rare to die! (A giant's tale By C.L.L Hamilton)"

 

What is your favorite song by Taylor Swift?

 

Our song is the slamming screen door

Sneakin' out late, tapping on your window

When we're on the phone, and you talk real slow

'Cause it's late, and your mama don't know

 

Slipknot or Rammstein (if you had to choose)?

 

Rammstein! Slipknot is deadly though

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Refer to the last line in Half Baked

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

I had waffle this morning, definitely waffles

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars, Lightsabers will win me over EVERY TIME. Wrath of Khan is awesome though!],,?

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

I'm really digging my Snakepit shirt right now

 

Favorite meal?


Garlic Bread, eat it

 

Favorite book?

 

The Lies of Locke Lamora, read it

 

Favorite movie?

 

Akira, watch it!

 

Favorite album?

 

Pi Nature By Ninja Spy, Jam it!

 

 

     Big thanks to Chase for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  And I have to say that this is a dude I think I’d like to hang out with.  If you are reading this while they are still on tour then you should go see them live if you have the opportunity.  At the very least you should pick up their last release, the Black EP.  You will be glad that you did and I think they will too. 

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente


https://citizenragehardcore.bandcamp.com/album/black-ep

Comments