A Fistful Of Questions With Geoff Saavedra From Titanosaur

     Guitarist.  Vocalist.  Boob enthusiast.  XL.  Dad.  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Geoff Saavedra of Titanosaur.      

 

What is your full name?

 

Geoff Saavedra

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Titanosaur/Titano, Big G, God of Thunder

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Titanosaur and The Raygun Girls

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Violin

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Looking through my uncles’ records and playing them on my little toy record player (which totally pissed him off).  Records like David Bowie’s Let’s Dance, Queen’s Sheer Heart Attack, Black Sabbath’s Paranoid, Ramones’ Leave Home and so many more.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

I was in a band in High School, but I don’t remember the name.  Once I got into college, the band I put together was called Desvio.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Titanosaur. 

 

I had been doing The Raygun Girls since 2003.  It’s much more Goth, dark… and I needed an outlet for my sillier Ramones side as well as my more guitar oriented heavy side.  So, in 2017 I decided to create a separate project.

 

What inspired the name Titanosaur?

 

Once I knew I wanted a separate project for heavier, sillier music, I wanted a name that would evoke heaviness, stomping, loud.  With my kids (my greatest helpers in this music thing), I went through a whole bunch of dinosaur and animal names, but they were all taken.  Then I remembered having watched a documentary recently on the discovery of the Titanosaur - the biggest dinosaur ever found.  And that sounded perfect.  Not only large, and stomping like the music I wanted to make, but I’m also usually the tallest person in the room (6’9”).

 

How long did it take you to write and record Absence of Universe?

 

I have trouble with my memory.  Which means that I lose big chunks of stuff and I have trouble telling how long things have taken.  So, I have no clue how long it took to write.

I think it’s safe to say that as soon as I finished writing the Inti Wañu EP (sometime in March 2021), I started recording new music.  And I remember very well that one of the songs on the new album was recorded right after I got the news about my heart failing “I Will Live Forever” and that was near the end of June, beginning of July.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

I’ve been asked versions of this question before, and I don’t really have a good answer.  I love the bands that I love as they are, I wouldn’t be able to add anything to them, so why insert myself?

 

If I played like Tommy Victor, then insert me into Prong or Ministry; if I played like Geordie or Paul Raven, then insert me into Killing Joke; if I played like Kim Thayil, then insert me into Soundgarden… but I don’t play like them. ;)

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

I wish I had written any Taylor Swift song so I could get those massive royalties!

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Absolutely.  I’ve always loved Beethoven, one of the original metal musicians… so, maybe that’s not non-metal…  Might sound cliche but the Beatles are an influence, and Pink Floyd is one I caught on to a long time ago- David Gilmour’s playing is fantastic. 

I’m a huge ZZ Top fan.  And then there’s punk.  I got into Punk way before Metal - in the 80’s and 90’s with The Ramones, SEx Pistols, The Damned, Descendents, Bad Religion, Fugazi…

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?



I like pop music too.  I’m basically a music fan.  And way back when my kids discovered Billie Eilish, right before she exploded, I wanted to cover “You Should See Me in A Crown”

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Unfortunately, the live shows all happened in the mid 90’s to early 2000’s.  And, that time was all a blur- shows about every 2 weeks with The Raygun Girls, and for part of that time, I was also playing bass in a New Jersey goth band, Datura, so it all melds together.

 

With The Raygun Girls, we became good friends with a Brooklyn based band, Pale Horse.  They were great Hard Rock/Metal, very Motorhead influenced.  We even ended up touring down to Florida with them.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Back in those days, Arlene’s Grocery was the most fun to play at.  Great sound, perfect size stage.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

When we were doing live shows, I was also in a very deep depression, and the only one doing the booking, publicity, songwriting… everything.  So, I basically spent my time yelling or getting frustrated with the members of the band- their pre-show ritual was usually downing at least 2 beers and 2 shots.

 

It wasn’t a fun time, unfortunately.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

My favorite thing about touring back then was having to play music every day in front of people.  When we were at home, it would be a show about every two weeks, but on tour, you have to do a show every day to make enough to pay for gas and hotels.  And I love to play loud!

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

The least favorite is that if you end up having an issue with another band member, there’s nowhere to go.  You’re stuck dealing with their crap until you get back home.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Unfortunately, I don’t remember.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

Hmm.. you might not believe this, but I’m actually not a very weird kind of guy, so I don’t have that many “weird” experiences…. But what comes to mind when this question is asked is when we were in Florida.  After we played, and Pale Horse was on stage, this woman started hitting on me, and I played along… telling her to kick me in the balls.  And, she wouldn’t believe me.  So, I kept pushing it, and when she was about to finally do it, her boyfriend came up and stared at her.  I think he didn’t mess with me, because, well, I was about a foot taller than him, and wearing my stage get up - leather pants, studded wristbands, earrings - and, I guess, I should also mention that my best friend was The Raygun Girls bassist, and he’s also quite big, so we’re both quite imposing.

 

Yeah… good times.  :D

 

The year is 1993.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

In 1993, I graduated from High School in Upstate, NY, and started College at Columbia University.  At that time I was listening to Prong, Motorhead, Metallica, Anthrax, Ministry and Danzig.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Play what you want and like.  You have to like what you’re playing for it to come across to the listener.  And, remember, not everyone is going to like what you create, and that’s okay.

 

What is an absolute band killer?



When a band member threatens to commit suicide if they don’t get their way…. yeah…

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

On The Raygun Girls’ album Dirt Collector, there are a couple of songs which were rushed, and I was not happy with, but the label wanted a full album, and then there’s a song which I find that drags but felt like it had to be recorded because the lyrics were written by the singer.  It’s not a horrible song, because people actually really like that song, it’s just kind of boring for me to play.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

I’m not good at this kind of stuff- thinking of names, that’s why I usually have my kids help me with band names or album titles.  As for the headlining bands - definitely Mastodon for one.  Let’s see, High on Fire and bring Lemmy back from the dead and have Motorhead be the third.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

On that Florida tour, I think.  That was four days…?  On the last night we slept at what turned out to be an orgy house… so, it’s a house specifically there for orgies (they were NOT having one the night we stayed, lol).  But the next night we stayed at a hotel and we ALL took showers because we were all a little skeeved out…

 

Oh, maybe that’s a weirder story than flirting with a girl by asking her to kick me in the balls… hmmm…

 

So, this was back in the Myspace days.  I organized the tour and found places for us to stay.  And this one promoter said both of us bands could stay at their place.  When we got there, the outside looked kind of run down, so we were already on guard a little. 

We walk in, and it’s kind of dark.  You walk into the living room area, with a large tv and three long couches, then there’s a hallway.  When you walk down the hallway you see some small rooms on the sides with only a mattress in each of them.  The hall opens into a kind of bar area with the wall covered in different color and size thongs. 

Off of the bar area there’s a door going outside where there’s a hot tub. 

 

At first, we thought about going in, then the whole situation went through our minds and we thought that would be a BAD idea.  Most of us ended up sleeping in the living room area on the couches and the floor… but some of us were crazy enough to sleep in the rooms with mattresses.

 

There was definitely a smell of antiseptic in the air.  Ahh… the rock n’ roll life!

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I’m pretty open about everything.  But, with the speed of social media, maybe some people miss some posts - I’m autistic, I have severe scoliosis (which pinches a lot of nerves), and I have a failing heart.  Three things you can’t see in any of the videos or pics I post.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

It’s number 4 after my 2 movie podcasts and Behind the Bastards podcast.  :D

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

Don’t they float while sleeping?

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Really really really hard one to decide!  Because I’m listening to it right now, I’ll say Killing Joke’s Hosannas From The Basements of Hell.  It’s got super zone out kind of songs, and it’s got really aggressive killer tracks.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

Ugh… titles… I’ll head back to the whole thing about how my kids help me decide titles.  Or maybe just Jolly Green Giant…

 

What is your favorite song by Metallica?

 

It’s a tie between “Motorbreath” and “Damage, Inc”

 

Sleep or High On Fire (if you had to choose)?

 

I know about Sleep… but never really listened to them.  High on Fire though, as soon as I heard one track by them fifteen years ago, I was sold

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies, definitely boobies.  All the way… absolutely boobies… have I mentioned that I prefer boobies?

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?



Pancakes.  Waffles are too hard to cut.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

I can’t decide on this one.  I can’t… My brain would explode.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

It’s torn so badly at this point that I haven’t worn it in about 10 years, but my Ramones shirt from their Escape From NY Tour, with Blondie, is definitely my favorite.

If I’m choosing one that I still wear?  That would be my Motorhead Everything Louder Than Everything Else shirt.

 

Favorite meal?

 

I’m lactose intolerant, but I CANNOT say no to baked ziti…. Mmmm….

 

Favorite book?

 

I don’t read much.  Because I can’t seem to keep my eyes open after a few pages.  I haven’t read anything new in 20 years.  One that I remember enjoying the most would have to be Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe.

 

Favorite movie?

 

Man, there are so many!  Blade Runner, Mad Max: Fury Road, Airplane, The Three Amigos, Heat… and that new Spider Man movie is damn good!

 

Favorite album?

 

I don’t have one.  I like music…. A lot.  I was diagnosed as autistic only about 3 years ago.  And it made so much sense.  I’ve come to realize that music is my special interest.  So, there’s just no way to pick a favorite album.  There just isn’t.  I listen to music just about every minute of every day.

If I look at the music app on my phone, under Top Rated you’ll see Run the Jewels, Skinny Puppy, Black Sabbath, 16 volt, etc…

 

On the music app on my computer, the top starred are AC/DC, Mastodon, Ramones, Clutch, Suicidal, Misfits, Bosstones… so… yeah.  I can’t pick a favorite album.

 

 

     Extra large thanks to Geoff for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  You.  Yeah YOU!  Slide on over to Bandcamp and check out Titanosaur.  Pre-orders are up for his latest creation Absence of Universe which will be releasing on February 4th. 

 

~El Pedo Caliente

 

https://titanosaur1.bandcamp.com/album/absence-of-universe

Comments