A Fistful Of Questions With Aliyah Daye From Shield Of Wings

      Keyboardist.  Vocalist.  Desert & Beer enthusiast!  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Aliyah Daye of Shield of Wings. 

 

What is your full name?

 

You can just call me Aliyah Daye :)

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

I could tell you but you know how that goes.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Just Shield of Wings! I probably couldn’t make time for anything else.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Singing and taking voice lessons are some of my earliest life memories!

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

My dad asking me to identify which band was currently playing on classic rock radio.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

The first band that ever made any music was Duilliath, my college band from around 2008-2013!

 

Tell me about the genesis of Shield of Wings. 

 

The band was started by guitarist James in 2005, though since I joined the band much later, I can’t speak much to that.

 

What inspired the name Shield of Wings?

 

From what I have been told, the name just came to James and seemed appropriate.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Unfinished?

 

Well, the writing has been stretched over the years from 2012 to 2019. The recording process technically began during the late demo phase, but we started building on those demos at the end of 2019.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?


 

Maybe Wintersun so I could harass Jari into releasing another album.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

I don’t really feel that way in general, though there is a lot of music that I really feel like I connect with so much that I *could* have written it, had I been talented enough. “It’s The Fear” by Within Temptation comes to mind.

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Loreena McKennitt is probably the biggest as far as a non-metal artist with extremely diverse talents. I also love the pianist Ludovico Einaudi.

 

What’s a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of?

 

I think it would be cool to cover an oldie like Franki Valli’s “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You”.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

I have not played live in a very long time, but my favorite has been an outdoor stage in my hometown. Nothing like having the wind in your hair while performing!

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Again, I haven’t played in quite a long time – I am a different person now than then. But there is always some warm up, good hydration, intentional breathing, and some meditation.

 

The year is 2000.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

Probably in my parent’s basement watching CATS. That or blasting DC Talk’s Supernatural and pretending I could sing like Kevin Max (his was my favorite voice growing up.) I didn’t discover heavier music until a few years later in life.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?


 

Make sure you know your “why” because there are lots of struggles that will make you feel like giving up. Having a strong sense of meaning behind what you do will help you stay centered, and to consistently re-center.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Not having the right band members and chemistry can eat away at the creative process over time. I definitely recommend choosing your mates carefully!

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

In my college band this happened once or twice.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

Epic North America

 

With Kamelot, Unleash The Archers, and Seven Spires

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

If you are trying to tell me I reek of the river of undead souls, do be upfront about it ;)

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I was homeschooled all the way through high school; so if I seem socially awkward, I blame that.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?


 

Fistful of DOOM is an awesome playlist show, you do a great job picking playlists and chatting about the music. 

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

They can but I think they still like to sleep lying down sometimes. I mean, just look at Charlie the Unicorn after Candy Mountain.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Probably something like “Saurian Meditation” by Karl Sanders. Chill enough, complex enough, and not something I’ll be screaming along to the whole time.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off

One Woman’s Quest To Do A Little Bit of Everything Before She Dies

 

What is your favorite song by Dolly Parton?

 

Gonna be real, the only one I’m familiar with is Jolene.

 

Nine Inch Nails or Ministry (if you had to choose)?

 

Nine Inch Nails for me!

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Well, I don’t smoke, and everyone loves boobies.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles! I appreciate the crispiness that comes from having more surface area.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars!

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

My Eluveitie Origins Tour shirt from 2014. It’s one of the few I have that is actually a lady fit tee, and I love the design. It was a great show as well!  

 

Favorite meal?



As long as I get dessert I am happy.

 

Favorite book?

 

An underrated classic is “A Girl of The Limberlost” by Gene Stratton Porter.

 

Favorite movie?

 

One movie I deeply love is The Fountain.

 

Favorite album?

 

Get out of here. Wait, this is your blog? I’ll go.

 

 

     Massive thanks to Aliyah for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Shield of Wings’ debut full-length will be available for your listening pleasure on February 11th.  Mark that down on your calendars and prepare to get ass deep in some top shelf symphonic metal!! 


https://shieldofwings.bandcamp.com/

Comments