A Fistful Of Questions With Myk Colby

     Guitarist.  Vocalist.  LZRKMMDR.  Madman!?  This edition of Fistful of Question goes to Myk Colby.  A man who wears many hats.  

 

What is your full name?

 

Myk Colby.

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Yeah, sure.  For different musical projects and stuff.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Currently, WHARFLURCH, HOT GRAVES, ISTHMUS OV STYX, and a new project I got coming called PLASMODULATED.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Pianos / Keyboards.  My grandparents always had organs and pianos and stuff.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

I can’t remember it.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

I think that would have to be a thrash band I was in called Infinite Mindz.

 

Tell me about the genesis of Wharflurch. 

 

Well, I spent a long time coming up with a name, then I convinced Mamo to do this with me.  Then we came up with some music, and afterwards convinced others to do it with us.  Now here we are!

 

What inspired the name Wharflurch?



Seeing too many bands with repetitive / boring / cookie-cutter names.  I wanted to come up with a name that, if you google it, only comes up with my band.  Not a reference to anything specific, a book, a movie, etc.  And it needed to inspire some sort ov otherworldly horror in the mind as well.

 

How long did it take you to write and record Transmissions from the Swamp Cosmos?

 

Recording it didn’t take long!  It’s a live in the studio thing, no overdubs or anything like that.  Writing it is a different question, because it has songs from all different releases / times.  If you didn’t notice, it’s meant to be a live show in the studio, you can even watch it! 

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Very many.  Herbie Hancock, Sun Ra, Roy Ayers, Shirley Bassey, James Brown, OneOhTrix Point Never, Curtis Mayfield, Machinedrum, and the list goes on…

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

If you’re asking strictly about bands Wharflurch has played with, we just played with YAUTJA and YASHIRA, and both bands were utterly astounding.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Not really.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Not really.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Playing for strangers, meeting new friends, seeing old friends, not being home.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?



It eventually ends and you have to go home.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Always have fun in Richmond, VA.  Atlanta is always fun.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had on the road?

 

I could never reveal that!

 

The year is 1993.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

I’m 16 years old, in a ska-punk band in South Florida, listening to Ice Cube, Death, Fugazi, Obituary, A Tribe Called Quest, Shudder To Think, Nocturnus AD, etc.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

Don’t fucking do it.

 

What is an absolute band killer?



Hard drugs, aka like nose drugs and vein drugs.  Eat mushrooms instead, you’ll all become best friends.

 

Have you ever recorded a song that you really didn’t like, but somebody else in the band really did?

 

No, that would never happen around me, hahaha!

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

FLURCHFEST…  and I can’t reveal that cuz it’s really gonna happen.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Probably like 2 or 3 days.  That’s under extreme conditions.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

Something that shall remain hidden from their knowledge.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

I’ve never heard ov it, so absolutely!  Full disclosure: I don’t listen to podcasts really at all.  Ever.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

Aphex Twin - Drukqs.  Probably the only album that wouldn’t make me eventually want to split my own skull open on repeat for that long.

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?



“Please Don’t Read This”

 

Obituary or Deicide (if you had to choose)?

 

OBITUARY all fucking day.  I never got into Deicide, I thought they were corny even when I was in middle school.  Some cool riffs but…  C’mon.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star TREK.  Star Wars is corny as fuck.  I said what I said.

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

I have a SABBAT shirt with pink glitter ink on it, and I haven’t worn it yet, but it’s definitely my favorite.

 

 

     Massive thanks to Myk for taking the time to answer most of my questions.  I appreciate it.  Please allow yourself to be consumed by the sonic excellence that is WHARFLURCH.  You will be glad that you did!

 

 

~El Pedo Caliente

 

https://wharflurch.bandcamp.com/album/psychedelic-realms-ov-hell

Transmissions From The Swamp Cosmos Live In Studio Performance

Comments