A Fistful Of Questions With Nikos Mixas Of Mosara

     Guitarist.  Vocalist.  Photographer.  Red Vines (similar to Twizzlers) enthusiast!?  This edition of Fistful of Questions goes to Nikos Mixas of Mosara.      

 

What is your full name?

 

Nikos Mixas

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

Greekbastard if you must pry…

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

Only Mosara.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

Do I really want to answer this? Let’s just say the electric guitar.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

My father was a professional musician and he played the bouzouki which is THE stringed instrument to rock in Greece. I would watch him rehearse songs before playing at whichever Greek nightclub he was playing that night.

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

Mizery, a thrash band that sounded like Slayer had a child with Voivod (it was the late 80’s).

 

Tell me about the genesis of Mosara.

 

Tony, the other guitarist, originally formed the band in 2005 I believe? They were more stoner metal at the time.  There are still videos on YouTube if anyone is interested in checking out the original sound.  Anywho, the band lasted a couple of years and Tony went on to play in a few other bands to include Twingiant which is where we basically got together.  After Twingiant dissolved, we were both sitting around picking our noses and bored.  I texted him one day and asked if he was interested in standing up Mosara again and as they say, the rest is history.  

 

What inspired the name Mosara?

 

From what I gathered, it’s a name of a city in the game of Dungeons & Dragons.

 

How long did it take you to write and record your self-titled debut full length?

 

At this point, some of the songs are almost 3 years old that were recorded.  A couple of the songs, Cocoliztli and Earth God were written during the middle of the pandemic.  Recording started late last summer and we wrapped up mixing around this past March.

 

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

That’s a difficult question since I’m too lazy to learn someone else’s material. Haha.  Maybe the old school grind band Terrorizer since those songs are so fun to play?  That’s the only one that comes to mind so far.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

Hmmm…Yes.  Happy Birthday because it’s the most popular song in the world and myself and everyone around me would be loaded.  Free hookers and blow for all!

 

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

 

Well, I do photography during my free-time and I dig it a lot.  I was shooting a lot of bands and metal festivals before the world went to shit and now, I’m just shooting places that I travel to.  Not as exciting, but I still enjoy it.  Time to plug myself, yes?  You can see my photos and follow me on my Instagram.  Go there now!  https://www.instagram.com/greekbastard_photos/

 

What is a non-metal song that you'd like to do a cover of.


 

Ramones - Pinhead

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

There have been a few but if I had to name one, El Googly Diablo. They are more than just music, it’s like a comedy act.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Ehh…the venues are getting far and in between in the Phoenix area, I’d have to say Yucca Tap Room in Tempe since they always really treat us well and have decent sound.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Yes, drink two beers and some water and make sure I take a piss before I hit the stage.

 

What is your favorite thing about touring?

 

Meeting new people and trying the local foods and beers.

 

What is your least favorite thing about touring?

 

Everything else. Haha.

 

Is there a city that you love to hit while on tour?

 

Probably Philadelphia, those people are hardcore and they’ll let you know if you suck or not.

 

What’s the weirdest experience you’ve had being on the road?

 

The last time I toured was with my previous band Twingiant and without a doubt it was the after party at some bar in Memphis. The bar was home to some “interesting” characters and was supposed to close down a lot earlier than the time we left in the morning while the locals were starting their morning commute to work. There were also cops coming in and not saying a thing while people continued to party way past last call.

 

Chicago was also interesting since there were fights breaking out at the bar across the street from where we played and at least three cop cars passed without giving any fucks that people were getting the shit beat out of them.

 

The year is 1997.  Where are you at and what are you listening to?

 

I’m probably in one of my college classes and I would be listening to “Album of the Year” by Faith No More.  Yes, fucking boring, I know.

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?

 

If you want to make business out of it, good luck with that. If you want to have fun with it, knock yourself out.

 

What is an absolute band killer?


 

Discussing politics or religion with your bandmates.  Just say no.

 

If you were to start your own music festival what would be the name of that festival and who would be the three headlining bands?

 

In Phoenix, I would call it Hellishfest (I actually did this once on a much smaller level several years ago) and have Mercyful Fate, Venom and Dark Angel headline.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

Maybe two days?  I’m serious about that.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I love Radiohead. I can eat a whole box of Red Vines in one sitting and I only wear boxers.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

Um...yeah, of course (insert famous monkey looking sideways meme).

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

No, they sleep on rock hard mattresses in Croatia (Only my wife will understand this).

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

“100 Must Have Bach Masterpieces”.  I’ll probably only have to listen to the album 4 times maybe?

 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

Get The Fuck Outta Here…

 

What is your favorite song by Britney Spears?

 

The one where she has sex with Justin Timberlake.

 

Faster Pussycat or L.A. Guns (if you had to choose)?


 

Faster for sure. No hesitation.

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies…my wife’s of course…

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Waffles, more European.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Star Wars.  What’s a Star Trek?

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

I own about 100 band shirts to preface this question, but at this moment, my Black Sabbath Volume IV shirt.

 

Favorite meal?

 

I’m in Greece right now while I write this, so every day has been my favorite meal, but when I’m home in Phoenix, probably Pho.

 

Favorite book?

 

Shit, ever since my reading vision went downhill, I really don’t read books anymore and I have readers too.  Last book I read was Nergal from Behemoth’s autobiography. 

 

Favorite movie?

 

You’re killing me with these “favorite” questions man…oh wait, Borat for sure.

 

Favorite album?

 

If I had to pick and all time one, it would have to be Mr. Bungle – Disco Volante

 

      Big thanks to Nikos for taking the time to answer my questions.  I appreciate it.  Be sure to check out the filthy beast that is Mosara’s self-titled debut album.  You’ll be glad that you did! 

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle James from the Fistful of DOOM show)


https://mosaradoom.bandcamp.com/album/mosara


Comments