A Ripple Conversation With Robert Maniac

When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

 

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 

Well, funny you mentioned Kiss I actually saw their last ever performance in London and that was pretty huge for me as I’ve always loved their music. But my earlier epiphanies definitely sounded a lot like The Doors and T.Rex.

 

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

 

Fall Apart came together when I heard my friend Ben noodling an idea on the piano, my ears just happened to stumble on something I liked then I asked him to play the idea I had, I then improvised some vocals over it and it became what it is. My own songwriting process tends to fluctuate between vocal ideas and other random instrument ideas that I’ve accumulated over time.I write a lot at home where sometimes I just pick up the acoustic guitar or play a drum pattern and just spark some kind of inspiration and sing over it.

 

Who has influenced you the most?

 

Thanks, Ripple Effect, not an easy question so I’ll just name all the artists on my wall at this point

 

Lenny Kravitz

Marc Bolan

Prince

David Bowie

Chris Cornell

Jim Morrison

Kurt Cobain

 

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

 

I usually look towards the people that are around me and that’s when I know if I’m working hard enough or not although it’s not always good to compare, as long as you know you’re surrounding yourself with the right people that can only influence you positively

 

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music?

 

London is really where it all started for me, having studied in Shoreditch and playing shows every week around the London circuit it definitely helped in crafting my art and encouraging my introverted student self back in 2018 to somehow have the confidence to put on a show.

 

Where'd the band name come from?

 

“Robert Maniac”

 

I suppose it’s in my name I don’t really know how else to answer this one


 

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack

 

I’d love to be involved in any Seth Rogan movie I just they’re all my favourite

 

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?).  You're going to write a 1,000-word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

 

Life’s A Gas By T.Rex. It’s just so effortlessly brilliant for such a simple but effective song summing up life and death comparing it to a gas and how one day it’s not going to be around forever, be that in ones fuel-dependent vehicle or a statement environmentally driven with the fact that fossil fuels will run out.

 

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

 

I used to rehearse a lot in old St. and I used to visit venues after practice with all my music equipment to see what bands were in town and every security guard or ticket office always thought I was with the band I thought it was great as they let me in for free at these sold-out shows and I’d always end up buying some merch or an album supporting the artists that played so it really was a win-win.

 

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

 

Well playing live to me is such an important part of what I do it’s when you know if people are really liking what you are doing or not and it’s easy to read that opinion they either like it or they don’t. So far everyone has been super supportive at shows and all in all just a great community to be a part of that’s really what it feels like.

 

What makes a great song?

 

Everyone’s different but for me it’s just got to say something that resonates with me

 

What one single album do you wish that you'd written or performed on, and why?

 

There are many songs that have inspired me a lot and I’m sure every time I get asked this it’s always going to be a different response but as of right now sweet emotion by Aerosmith has got to be one of my favourite songs to listen to so that’s the one I’d probably say.

 

What piece of your music are you particularly proud of?

 

Well as of writing this I’ve only released Fall Apart and I’m proud of that but I know I’m right at the beginning of my career so I think eventually writing an album will definitely be a huge point in my career.

 

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

 

Well one of my biggest influences has got to be Lenny Kravitz as his music is just ingrained with all these elements of genre blending and I think how far he pushes the boundaries of his music is what I really admire, fusing elements of hard rock, funk and ballads it’s just you can’t put him in a box and I think that’s what I’m striving for to not be in a box that is.


 

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

 

Eventually, I hope to be on all. At the moment, I’m currently digital

 

Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice

 

What’s alcohol?

 

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

 

I’m from London but I know of this hidden gem that’s situated a bit out of London called “Isabella Pino modernariato Italian vintage style” it’s a vintage shop full of great records and vintage Italian Art Deco items as you walk in it feels like you’ve walked into a time machine and teleported yourself into the 70s definitely recommend.

 

What's next for the band?

 

I suppose only time will tell but definitely be expecting some more music on the horizon.

 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

 

Thank you everyone who has listened to my track so far and whoever is supporting me right at the beginning of my journey. I can’t wait to see you all at a show one day hopefully soon.


Comments