A Fistful of Questions With Tom de Wit!

Singer. Songwriter. Instrumentalist. Record label boss. Pancake aficionado! Bicycle enthusiast!? This edition of Fistful of Questions goes out to Tom de Wit. Tom wears a lot of hats, but the one he wears best is all around super good dude!

 

What is your full name?

 

My name is Tom de Wit. I was baptized as a catholic but my parents had a firm belief that guy names work best when they are strong and short, so no extra names for me, haha! As an annoyed response to that (and the fact that I wasn’t into religion of course) I got myself removed from the church’ registry at 14 years old.

 

Do you have any aliases?

 

I think TDW in itself could work like that? I had some people say that to my face when they met me in real life at gigs and such, so I will respond to it. But I don’t think I have any real cool aliases besides that I’m afraid.

 

What bands are you actively involved with?

 

I am the main songwriter/creator/instrumentalist/singer in my own project Symphonic, Progressive Metal project TDW and I am the lead singer and arranger/songwriter for Symphonic, Progressive Metal band Dreamwalkers Inc.

 

What was the first instrument that you played?

 

My first proper instrument besides singing was the keyboard, combined with my first steps into writing music with samples & tracker software in Windows 2000 and DOS. So I tend to say that the keys helped me understand notes, chords, harmonies etc and the samples actually allowed me to write the first demo’s that had a semblance of the songs I heard in my head.

 

Tell me about one of your first musical memories?

 

Apparently as a kid I was always singing to myself and that would be stuff by bands like Queen, Toto, Jesus Christ Superstar, Pink Floyd etc combined with things like children's music and video game music of stuff I was playing back then. And I was also always writing and/or crafting things. So it turned out that I actually already wrote little alternate lyrics to songs (that made no sense whatsoever!) when I was really young and I would sing those to the actual songs in my head or out loud. I guess that writing urge was always there!

 

What was the name of the first band you were in?

 

I used to make some random noise with a friend of mine, which was mostly comical when I was 13 years old and that band was called Twisted Metal. It was complete crap, by design! We actually wrote songs about breaking your guitar string and then try to actually break it while playing, that kind of stupid stuff. But hey, we had fun! But I think my first serious band was called Forgotten Art Experiment, which was an alt-rock band that I tried to put some prog ideas into with me playing keys and singing. We once played this gig at an open mic jam night and someone filmed that. But I never saw that footage. Curious to know how bad that would’ve been, haha!

 

Tell me about the genesis of TDW. 

 

Basically I thought of the name TDW when I was 14 years old, because I decided then that music was my calling and that I needed a better name then just my own name to release music and/or albums under. It’s funny looking back at it, because when I started out, I literally STARTED OUT. I could not play any instruments, I never wrote a song before, I just started at zero. 

I remember there were quite a few people back then that talked down on me like “Yeah, you have all this ambition, but no skills and/or talent, so this is probably going to suck.” To be fair, looking back now, I partially get their skepticism, because it would have been quite the stretch of the imagination back then to see me where I am now, haha. 

I just wanted to make things as I always had been doing as a child. And as a kid I wanted to be an artist and a game designer, which drove me to draw and write a lot and it was that switch to music at 14 in which I thought: “Well, I think I can do this if I put my mind to it. And the first step is believing in this and DOING it.” 

It's odd, because I was (and still am) a very insecure person by nature that second guesses things, worries a lot and is just generally highly sensitive, so having something this CLEAR in my head was new to me. I just knew I wanted to do this music thing and I wasn’t sure how I was going to do it, but I just knew I HAD to.

 

What inspired the name The Days the Clock Stopped?

 

The title describes what it is like to be in a hospital for multiple longer times as I have been. Basically when you are stuck in a room, in a certain time rhythm dictated by the nursing staff and you should just… be there and not do too much, it feels like time doesn’t exist anymore.

Literally the only things that show you what time it is, are the people that visit you, because when you are forced to wait things out like this, a minute can feel like an hour or a day in itself. And let’s not forget that being as sick as I was back then, it clouds your judgement because your body and brain are working as hard as they do. 

So it really feels like the clocks have stopped and you are stuck in a time loop which can only be broken by outside influences.

 

How long did it take you to write and record The Days the Clock Stopped?

 

It took me about 9 years to find the courage to actually start writing about what happened. It was for a special acoustic show in 2017 that I started writing the first songs (the songs that became the 4 Clockstop songs on the album) in their earliest form. The thing was that I did not set out to make those songs about myself. I wrote them with a fictional character in mind and that is how we even performed those songs live with Dreamwalkers Inc at that show. However, when I listened to the recording of that night, it suddenly hit me…. These songs were not about a fictional character, but about me. 

It then took me a few more years to really let this idea settle in and feel ready enough to talk about all this in public. This whole hospital story took place in 2009/2010, but because of the intensity of it all I just couldn’t face it earlier. I wasn’t ready. However in late 2018 / early 2019 it became clear to me that this story needed to come out. It had to be told so to speak, and I was at that point also able to give it a positive/constructive twist which the album closes off with. I felt that that was very important, because I did not just want to put a whole misery explosion out there with no conclusion out there. That would not fit the way I look at life. 

Yes, life can be pretty f*cking hard and dark at times as this record illustrates, but at the end of the day we gotta pick up what we can and try to move on. And I think that by now after all the crazy sh*t I have been through I am allowed to say that I am not doing too bad of a job at that.



If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

 

Oh man… I would LOVE to be a part of a band like Between The Buried And Me for example. The idea of playing that kind of crazy music and speaking to such a big audience as they do would feel like the ultimate achievement. 

Though to be fair, with both TDW and Dreamwalkers Inc I am a lucky man, because I am already making music that is as crazy as it is with no limitations and there’s an audience that wants it and GETS it. I wouldn’t mind the idea of a bigger audience and some more financial freedom from that of course, but honestly I am already in a really great place musically. Nobody will tell me what music I can or can not make. I am in full control of what I make, release and promote and that feels pretty damn good.

 

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… What was the song and artist?

 

The thing is that I did have these experiences a few times indeed, but I am not really able to mention any titles or bands right now. But I do often hear ideas or little bits in songs that make me go like “Oh wow! I love that synth sound” or “That break is so cool!” etc. Often I then try to see if I can distill the essence of those things and use it in my own songs. 

At the end of the day music always is a responsive kind of art, as every big artist in world history ripped off someone before them to some capacity. The creative part is taking an idea of concept and giving it your own twist and thus creating something that is yours.

 

Do you have any non-metal/prog musical inspirations?

 

Actually I have quite a few of those! I have been working on a fully orchestral idea in my head for years now and would love to write something and conduct an orchestra plus band to play that. Not even sure if it would get vocals even. I always have been in love with orchestral and classical music that sounded big and epic and I wouldn’t mind discovering that side more outside of a metal context. 

And next to that we played our share of acoustic shows with Dreamwalkers Inc in the past and I do like the idea of maybe once doing a TDW album that is completely acoustic. No distortion, no heavy drums, just that intimate vibe and see if I can translate the feelings I want to bring across in that sphere of sound. 

Also, I have been playing around with an experimental idea to once write and perform a piece on the spot with a set of ambient artists, as I love the idea of having a batch of synths and percussion around me and just seeing what happens. By now I have gathered a pretty big list of fellow musicians around me who work in the metal, jazz, classical spheres. I would then try to say “Okay, we are here with our instruments, and today we are improvising a piece of music based on a specific set of emotions” and then see what happens and record that live. I would love to do something like that.

 

Non-metal/prog song that you'd like to do a cover of.

 

So many! I already did a few covers of non metal songs on my youtube channel over the last few years of songs like Genesis’ Jesus He Knows Me, The Monkees ”I’m a believer” and more, so there is a bit of a backlog for me. 

But to answer directly, I would love to do “Little Lion Man” by Mumford and Sons for instance, as I love singing that. Also “Fireflies” by Owl City is one I would like to do, though it has been done quite a few times already. I prefer to pick songs that people know, but have not been done to death already. 

Link here btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhjFC9y33gs

 

What band have you played with that has really impressed you with their live show?

 

Two shows come to mind for different reasons. 

One was a show with my band Mind;Soul in 2011 in which we opened up for an acoustic night with Damian Wilson. However, we did not play acoustic, but actually played our full on metal show as his support act and it was the weirdest night ever. I respect Damian Wilson as a singer quite a bit. I mean, the guy has sung Les Miserables for fuck’s sake. I am basically a small fry compared to him vocally. But he actually was incredibly nice and invited our whole band up on stage with him during his set. And we even ended up improvising a song on the spot with him. There’s video footage of this gig and all the shenanigans that happened then, not sure if this ever goes to the public, but I will never forget that night. 

Second would be the debut performance we did with Dreamwalkers Inc when we had multiple support acts being Hillsphere and The Aurora Project and that whole night was just very special in general. It felt like everyone had a good gig and that the audience really vibed on that. Also the fact that we had our electric debut with our 10 person line-up was something to never forget.

 

Do you have a favorite venue to play at?

 

Not just one, but I can name three that all share the same spot placewise for different reasons. 

The best venue I ever played at technically and hospitality wise is De Boerderij in Zoetermeer when we played there with Mind:Soul opening up for Votum and Kingcrow. Playing a headline show there with Dreamwalkers Inc would legitimately be a dream come true, because it is a venue with a huge repsheet and I have seen some of my heroes play there. So in that sense it would be a teenage dream to play a headline show there once. 

In terms of atmosphere and vibe, Parktheater in Alphen aan den Rijn has a very special place in my heart. Playing a rockshow in a theater just has a charm for me that is awesome and I really want to do more shows there. 

And finally, a personal favorite of mine is the venue called Fort33 here in Amersfoort (Leusden) which is the place where I organized quite a few gigs in the past and they always were pleasant nights with a good vibe. It’s not a big stage, but a good stage to have a good night of rock and roll energy in.

 

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

 

Does being nervous as all heck count? Haha! Seriously though, I have a few rituals I guess. I get into my performance clothes, take off my shoes (I always perform barefoot), drink my green tea and honey and do vocal warmups to make sure I start out well prepared. It’s all those things that prime me to be ready to sing and get that part of myself out there. 

Next to that I always want to do a group hug of sorts with all my bandmates to channel that final bit of energy before walking on and being able to do the show well. It’s also my way to tell them again that I am proud of them, I love them and that we should go out there and blast that energy into the room. I did a few gigs where I forgot some of these rituals and those gigs always felt… off. So I prefer to have this all in place.

 

The year is 2002.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

 

In high school, third year, listening to a lot of Dream Theater, Symphony X and Pain of Salvation and delving into all sorts of bands that I can find online. Mostly spend my days working on new songs and trying to get better at what I do, and spending my allowance on cheap gear for recording. Really my starting years so to speak, but there was something magical about knowing that you could go home after school, have tea with your mom and make music afterwards. Good times!

 

What advice would you give young musicians that are just starting out in the music business?


 

If you want to learn how to do something, you need to do three things:

A: Start doing it and don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Every bad song you write and/or every mistake you make, will help you grow to get to that level of writing “good” stuff.

B: Become a sponge of sorts and soak in all the info you can find. Check tutorials, read magazines, ask questions, GET ALL THE INFO. The more you learn from others, the bigger your toolbox of ideas will become.

C: Follow your heart and gut. Make what you want to make. From the moment you start out making things, Someone will hate you and your music, for no reason whatsoever. So don’t focus on them, focus on those that DO like it, because they exist as well. We live in a world with 6 billion people, there is an audience for everyone, no matter how big or small.

 

What is an absolute band killer?

 

Extreme perfectionism stemming from insecurity. Referring back to the points I made earlier, I have seen too many people be extremely critical of themselves, others and everything around them because they would be scared to step outside and actually MAKE something and share it with the world because it would not be PERFECT…

That is the biggest enemy of creativity in my opinion. 

I tend to pose a simple logic question to this kind of attitude by now, and that is this: “If you don’t ever release anything because it’s not good enough… Will you ever get better? How can you get better if you don’t do it?” 

I have coached my share of people (I do creative coaching for people that are stuck in their writing process under the name of Flowdiver) and it is that fear of imperfection that stops many a person in their tracks and I think that’s a damn shame. Because creation can really make you a better person I think.

 

What are five progressive rock or metal albums that I need to hear?

 

Well if I had to list 5 that I think everyone should dive into, it would be this list I think:

Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (both discs)

Between The Buried And Me – The Great Misdirect

Protest The Hero – Volition

Twelve Foot Ninja – Silent Machine

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

And honestly, this feels wrong because there are so many more I could reference, but these are progmetal releases that keep inspiring me every time I listen to them.

 

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

 

About 12 years because I only have a shower here, haha.

 

What’s one thing that most people don’t know about you?

 

I am pretty open about most things in my life, but I think people tend to be surprised when they see my living room has a lot of dark furniture and wood tones and some pretty old vibes with that. They would expect me to maybe have a nerdy taste in furniture, but I actually love old dark wood colors and often spent time making furniture look aged because it’s an aesthetic that calms me. 

Also, some people are surprised to bump into me at thrift stores and flea markets as I actually LOVE treasure hunting for nerdy stuff or old stuff in those places. Not very metal, I know, but I am a history nerd as well, so it all checks out.

 

What are two things that people need to know about the Netherlands?

 

We don’t all smoke weed and we are actually far more conservative and rightwing/Christian then the world seems to frame us as.

 

Is the Fistful of DOOM show in the top 10 of your favorite music podcasts?

 

YES. But that is also easy because I listen to far less podcasts then I would like to. Something involving not always having the time for it. But I do love that podcasts are things that can be relistened multiple times and I often try to catch up when I can.

 

Do unicorns sleep standing up?

 

No, they sleep on a floating bed made of their own sparkles.

 

Do you own a bicycle?

 

As a Dutch person I can confirm that I was born with one between my legs and I will race you and win.

 

Do you enjoy Hagelslag (if so what kind)?

 

Yes! It’s vitamin C of Dutch breakfast, haha! And I prefer milk chocolate or the mix variety with white chocolate pieces in there.

 

You’re driving cross-country and you can only listen to one album the whole time.  What album will it be?

 

I would pick something off a live record that I can sing along to then I think, so that would either be a Queen or Toto record, so that the miles fly by while singing catchy choruses.


 

You are writing a book about your life thus far.  What is the title of that book?

 

The fine art of perseverance

 

Doobies or Boobies (if you had to pick one)?

 

Boobies. I tend to joke that I don’t do drugs and rock and roll that much, so the sexual side compensates, haha.

 

Waffles or Pancakes (if you had to pick one)?

 

Pancakes. Because Pancakes can be made in a lot of ways and the shape allows you to roll or wrap stuff in it.

 

Star Wars or Star Trek (if you had to choose)?

 

Then I would pick Star Wars because I got into that first. I didn’t get Star Trek as a kid, because my English wasn’t that good and it just seemed like a lot of talking. Once I got older and understood English more, I realized how profound the Star Trek shows are so now I am happy to say I love both for different reasons.

 

Queen or Zappa (if you had to choose)?

 

…THIS IS NOT FAIR! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!? … ARGH …. Okay then I pick Zappa, because he had so much more music to make and people to empower and a world to change. But honestly I could say the same about Freddy, so this is just, not fair!

 

Favorite band t-shirt you own?

 

I think Fallujah has my favorite shirt as it’s 3 kittens and one with a reverse cross on it’s wittle face. It’s both metal as fuck and adorable and that kinda describes me in a good way I think, haha!

 

Favorite meal?

 

Pancakes! Preferably with vegetarian shoarma and schashlick sauce. It’s trashy, but I love it so much!

 

Favorite book?

 

That would be a tie between Picnic on Ice by Andrej Kurkov and 1984 by George Orwell.

 

Favorite movie?

 

Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo. That is a film that opened my mind to what can be done with animation and storytelling if you are willing to go beyond any reason and logic.

 

Favorite album?

 

Impossible to say, sorry. I have many albums I hold in high regard. I actually made a video about 20 albums that inspired me last year and I would rather use that as a decoy in this case, so here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-dNSwwF6aM

 

Enormous thanks to Tom for taking the time to answer these questions. I appreciate it. TDW’s latest album is available now for your listening pleasure and I highly recommend that you give it a listen. Once you’ve listened I highly recommend that you support TDW by buying a copy. It’s available digitally and on cd and vinyl. The cd is a cd/dvd with a behind the scenes documentary about the making of the album. Plenty of bang for your buck!

 

~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson the host of the Fistful of DOOM

show)

 

https://tdwprog.bandcamp.com/album/the-days-the-clock-stopped

https://dreamwalkersinc.bandcamp.com/album/a-night-at-the-theatre


Comments