A Sunday Conversation With Justin Goodson From Days To Come


When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

I grew up in a musician household. My dad and brother were always singing and playing music. I was pretty shy as a kid and started playing the guitar when I was 17. I remember listening to Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and other blues guys.  I can’t play anything like them, but they definitely got me interested in the guitar.

Nickelback actually got me into modern rock. My dad was in the military and I spent a lot of time overseas, so I missed out on a lot of popular music at the time. I remember finding Nickelback and just being mesmerized but the chunky guitar tones. This led to bands like Shinedown, Three Days Grace, and Breaking Benjamin.

A few years later I found Alter Bridge and my life changed. Hearing them solidified what I wanted to do with music.

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff?  The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

Typically I’ll get a melody first. It may revolve around a theme or lyric, but I try to get the melody solidified before finishing the lyrics.

Sometimes, we’ll write music to a vocal melody I have, or I’ll put one on top of some music we’ve been working on.

Who has influenced you the most?

As a vocalist - Myles Kennedy. His voice is unique and it has helped me in  making peace with mine.

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

Life. I believe that all of the experiences we go through in life help in the creative process.

I’ll check out a podcast, listen to new music, read a book. All of this can help with new ideas.

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects on the music?

We don’t really sound like anyone in our area. Most of the artists in our hometown and the surrounding cities are country, or hip hop/rap artists.
 
I’m thankful we live during the digital age. We have the opportunity to be influenced by artists all over the world.

Where'd the band name come from?

Years ago, Brandon and I were frustrated that we had all of the pieces to put a band together except for a drummer. I was at my day job one day and just thought that everything would work out and it would be better in the “days to come”.

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

I’m a big fan of massive, over the top, orchestral pieces. I feel like they make movies even more larger than life.

I couldn’t tell you what soundtrack I’d write for. It would be a cool process and a great opportunity.

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?). You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

Calm The Fire - Alter Bridge. It’s off of their Fortress album and it’s one of my absolute favorite songs. I love the melody, dynamics, theme, and feel of the song.

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments? Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

I mean, I’ve ripped my pants on stage twice. It’s embarrassing being exposed like that, but it’s a story.

I absolutely love performing at shows. The connection between us and the crowd is fantastic and special. When everyone is on the same page and experiencing the same emotion, it’s magic.

What makes a great song?

In my opinion, a melody and honest lyrics. I absolutely love melodies. Lyrics are equally important. I feel like too often, lyrics are just thrown together and don’t come from a place of honesty, or experience.

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

I have no idea what it was about. I was around nine years old and I remember being so frustrated with it that I ripped up the lyrics I was writing and threw it in the trash.

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

Lyrically, Wolves. Before that song, I wasn’t opening myself up as a writer. I didn’t want to write about whatever I was feeling because I didn’t want to expose myself as an artist. With Wolves, I felt like I had finally reached a point in my life where I was comfortable letting the world in.

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

I’m a big fan of Nothing More. The way they blend tones and textures to paint an image is really special. I also really like Charlie Puth. He’s a great songwriter.

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

Digital. It’s not as fun, but it’s better for the environment.

Whiskey or beer? And defend your choice

Whiskey. Beer is nice, but Whiskey makes for better conversation.

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

I don’t even think we have a record store anymore. A lot of those places have closed.

What's next for the band?

We’re excited to promote our new single, Ashes (January 2020) and release new music this year. We’ve got a few collaborations lined up with other artists and we’re touring as well.

We’re going to continue to chase our sound and connect with more people.

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

I’m very appreciative for all of the support we’ve been getting with our new single, Ashes (January 2020). It means the world that our fans continue to share our music with their friends.

Comments