A Ripple Conversation with Rory Rummings of Cloud Catcher



When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears. What have been your musical epiphany moments? 

Ah man, I can remember the first time I had ever heard Iron Maiden. My Dad used to own this video tape with a few promo videos, I think it was called “Video Pieces”. I remember being around 3 or 4 and putting the tape on and having my mind blown. Honestly, from that point on I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I'd also say witnessing Uli Jon Roth live was a truly divine experience. That dude is the purest form of inspiration. Always strive to be your best, and push your limits of creativity!

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place? 

Usually the riff comes first and Jared will summon some other worldly drum part based on the rhythmic patterns of the melody. Once we have that locked in the vocal melody is conjured somehow, haha.

Who has influenced you the most? Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

Honestly, I'd say playing with Kam and Jared has influenced me the most. I have never really created with a group of people who get what I'm trying to do so clearly. And vice versa, the stuff those two come up with gives me so much room to play off of. So I'd pretty much say we influence each other.

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music? 

Well, Denver is growing rapidly. We all live in a part of the country where everyone wants to be and it's easy to see why. We have legal marijuana, killer local bands who are doing big things, and some of the best mexican food you could ever put down (sorry California! Haha). Denver also has a huge rippin' Metal scene that's extremely open minded. I mean, we get to share the stage with our favorite local bands Khemmis, In The Company of Serpents, Tricoma, Spectral Voice, etc. who all play the most heavy, evil shit you'll ever hear and we still manage to keep the audience into our tunes haha. Due to the fact that there really aren't a lot of Heavy Rock bands we subconsciously have to keep our chops up, and our riffs sharp. I suppose it's the constant progression of the city that somehow effects our progression of the band.

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for? 

Hahaha, awesome question. In my opinion, I think we would do a killer soundtrack for Wizards! Although I'm sure Jared would say we would do a great job with some sort of anime film. Like Naruto or somethin', hahaha

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?). You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why? 

Easyyyyyy, 1983... (A Merman I should Turn to Be) by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. That song could easily be turned into a movie. In my opinion, that is Jimi's finest song writing. Everything about it is perfect, the melody, the trippy interlude where it sounds like they are swimming deep into the depths of the ocean. I could go on and on why I love that song, but yeah 1983 for sure!


What is you musical intention? 

To play the music we want to hear and push ourselves as musicians.

What are you trying to express or get your audience to feel? 
We are trying to make the audience feel the depths of Cosmic Heavy Rock in their souls. We are trying to pry open the third eye of those who are willing to listen and experience the moment they are in.

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments? 

Haha, there are a few for sure! Usually having an amp blow up live is what happens the most! Nothing too crazy, at least for now! We do have another tour coming up after all hahaha
Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?
Playing live for us is pretty much a sonic ritual where we are able to contort and create a space for us and our fans to enter into. When we play live, and when we play in general we are able to subconsciously let go of all our burdens and physical limitations. We honestly just want to leave people with a smile on their face, whether it's because of the music we play, or the joint they enjoyed during our set.

What makes a great song? 

The heart and energy that's put into it.

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote? 

“Please Don't Shoot” off of our first album, “Enlightened Beyond Existence”, was one of the first songs we composed as a band a few years back. I had a few riffs written and we just jammed on them for hours at a time until we finally had a song written.

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

Our new songs for our upcoming album I am extremely proud of. I feel we have finally come into our own as a band. In particular a new song named “Astral Warlord” is the one I am most proud of.

Who today, writes great songs? 

Locally I'd say Dreadnought. That band constantly inspires and pushes us to do our best. Good lord, do they rule!! For me personally, I'd say Chad VanGaalen is one of my favorite song writers nowadays. He is the only person that can write a song about boners, or what have you and still bring a tear to your eye. That dude has so much emotion in his music.

Who just kicks your ass? Why? 

Jared and Kam. Those dudes make me wanna step my game up all the time, haha. Matt Pike because of his fucking punishing guitar tone and John McLaughlin just because of his otherworldly guitar playing. I'd say having the opportunity to play with Slow Season and Mothership was ass kicking in a way that we learned even more so how to put on a great show. Earthless blew my mind completely, I'd been waiting to see them forever and they did more than kick my ass.

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice? 

Vinyl for sure, there is just something something extremely romantic about putting on a record.

Whiskey or beer? And defend your choice 

Whiskey, followed by a beer. I'd say we all as a band agree with that.

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in? 

Denver is our home town but my favorite record store happens to be in Arvada. Black & Read is the absolute best record store in this area.

What's next for the band? 

Well, we are currently finishing up writing for our next album. Then we have an early spring tour which includes a date at Borderland Fuzz Fiesta which we are stoked for! At the end of the tour we will be recording our next album with Cody Tarbell from one of our favorite bands, Slow Season. After that we will just be doing what we are planning a few more tours for the year.

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

If you listen to us, thanks for all of your kind words, support, and good vibes! We make music not only because we love it, but because we have such righteous fans and friends. We are so grateful for the support that has been shown so far! So thank you all! Also, PLAY YOUR AMPS LOUD!!! Don't let a sound guy tell you to turn down! Stay heavy, and thanks for your time!

Comments