On the Ripple Desk - Featuring Chris Joyner and Cochise

Man does it feel good to be finally catching up.  For those of you  who are long-time readers, you know that for years I was pretty darn regular with my writing.  But once the Ripple Music Record Label started up, things started getting . .  .squirrelly.   But recently, with the huge help of the Mighty Penfold who's assumed most of the editorial duty, I've been making a comeback.  So let's clear some stuff off my desk, shall we?

Chris Joyner - Domino

Yes, I love it heavy and hard.  Yes, I'm a metal, heavy rock, stoner, doom, punk, NWOBHM kinda guy. But I also love me some down home blues, soul and southern funk.  Which brings us right to this tasty offering from Chris Joyner.  Now, I believe Chris lives in Los Angeles, but he certainly has some south in his soul.  Like a backyard BBQ of deep fried southern goodies and gumbo, Chris's voice lilts over the various textures of blues, swampy soul and funk.  Smooth as a sweet sauce, Chris takes his place right next to some of my favorite singers like Bill Withers.  No over production on this one.  It's intimate and warm and perfect for a friday night warm up or Sunday morning come down.  I can definitely imagine this emanating from a darkend saloon off Bourbon Street in the wee hours of a wild night.  Definitely worth checking out.





Cochise - 118

This one came as a complete surprise.  Sent in by Metal Mind, I'd never heard of Cochise before, even though the Polish band has been around since 2004.  In that time, they've released a demo “9” plus two full-length releases - „Still Alive” in 2010 and „Back to Beginning” in 2012.   Those I gotta look up, because Cochise bring the goods.  One 118, Cochise perfectly blend energetic songs enriched with heavy, almost metal sounds with more delicate, atmospheric ones. Some of the chiming guitar work and quasi-psychedelia, like the energetic"Sweet Love Generation" or spacey "White Garden" remind me of Love-era Cult.  Which is always a damn good thing.  Others, like the video "Part of Me" are simply atmospheric and beautiful. Think of it as post-rock, post-indy, atmospheric metal.  Or something.  Either way, it's a damn fine album and worth checking out if you're into more atmospheric rock.

--Racer

Comments