The Fleas - Telling Tales EP



Lately, I have been in a dark place. Matters outside of my control have severely shaken me. My routines have been interrupted, possibly forever.  The most important person in my life is ill and the disease is controllable but incurable. It has devastated me in more ways than I could ever imagine.

I understand I must not wallow in despair, but it is a difficult thing just to get out of bed.  I must carry on; make decisions about my own life that I thought had already been made;  let go of things I had come to take for granted; reevaluate how I want to live the rest of my life.  To help lift my spirit from the depths of this depression I realized I needed a diversion. I thought of music. Metal would probably accentuate my demons.  Jazz would further depress me.  Punk would just cause me to engage in an anxiety ridden rage.  Emo? No way.  I might suck a tailpipe. 

In my angst I found The Fleas.  They have a new seven song EP called Telling Tales, an indie pop effort that consists of four new songs and three previously released tunes.  Here are The Fleas' descriptions of each of the EP compositions:

Born to Run
A song about zen and running, inspired by the book
"Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and
the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen"
by Christopher McDougall.

Free
A song about not being in debt. The ultimate festival tune

No More Tears
A little bit of Americana about the importance of
keeping your chin up.

She Doesn't Miss You
A little bit country, a little bit rock and roll.
This is a story song about how all men are dogs.

Something or Nothing
The Single from our Every Cloud EP.

Suddenly
Our version of the power ballad by Angry Anderson.
Played by Dermot O'Leary on BBC Radio 2.
     
The band plays about West London, Devon, Blackburn and Wales but is not completely British and its members and music attest to that fact.  The Fleas formed in Great Britain in 2008 as the brainchild of singer/songwriter Piers Eccleston.  Argentinian drummer Mannie Mazzeo provides a seductive beat and backing vocals. According to The Fleas' website someone listed only by the name "Woody" plunks a stand up jazz double bass. Chris Ambidge leads on guitar. Bernadette Eccleston provides percussion and is the glue that holds together the band's three part harmonies. The band's signature sound is a sophisticated indie pop mixed with strains of Americana, rock, country, new wave, even dubstep, topped with a thinking man's lyric. 

For the duration of the EP my anxieties dissipated. I momentarily escaped from my dungeon.  It is feel good music and that is exactly what I needed.  Don't we all?

- Old School



Comments