It Came From ReverbNation #16; Featuring Michael Rozich, Special Guests, Alice Evans, The Gypsy Bravado, Zumbatres, and Self Tort





From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

Michael Rozich – All of you progressive metal fans need to take a listen to this gentleman from Tecumseh, MI.  He is an excellent guitar player who clearly loves playing challenging, intricate riffs.  Similar artists include Dream Theater, Megadeth, and Rush.  What I find most impressive about his song submission is that although his music is highly technical, I never felt he was simply playing for the sake of showing off.  See if you agree with me waveriders.




Special Guests – This large ensemble from Brockton, MA is billed as an indie/pop/country act.  Well based off their song submission I’m not sure about the country aspect (to be fair, there is a violin played throughout the song), but the other labels fit nicely.  The female singer’s voice is sublime, and the instrumental atmosphere is as warm as a ray of sunshine.  Take a listen.

Song Sample – “Never Forget” 

Alice Evans – The song submission from this Ripon, WI artist is almost too delicate for words.  Honestly, this woman’s voice is so graceful and ethereal I feared the song might break down if I made a sound while listening.  Similar artists include Norah Jones, Tori Amos, and Diana Krall.  I agree with that statement 100 percent!  If you like those artists, you’ll really dig this music.

Song Sample – “Never Have Lived” 
 

The Gypsy Bravado – According to the bio of this quartet based in Denton, TX the band wanted to “take the influence of early rock'n'roll greats and add a progressive psychedelic edge”.  Well waveriders, mission accomplished!  This band sounds fantastic!  Strong vocals, killer guitar work, and downright pounding rhythm section.  Follow the link waveriders only if you want to rock out.

Song Sample – “Dillinger” 

Zumbatres – From Portsmouth, NH comes this trio of talented musicians playing a mix of traditional and Latin jazz.  For those curious this is definitely music you can dance to, which is something I’m not sure I’ve ever said about a jazz release.  The Latin elements really do the trick however.  Very enjoyable listen!

Song Sample – “Danilo” 
 

Self Tort – I was unprepared for this submission.  There, I said it.  I saw the picture of an older gentleman holding an acoustic guitar and I expected to hear some typical singer/songwriter fare.  What did I get?  An energetic, electrified song with vocals that reminded me of Peter Gabriel, that’s what.  Similar artists include Joe Cocker, Van Morrison, and Tom Waits.  Bottom line, I really enjoyed what I heard from this Sydney, Australia based artist.  See if you agree with me waveriders.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/selftort
Song Sample – “Once Is Enough” 

--Penfold

Comments