It Came From ReverbNation #5

From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

Our Future Leaders – From Orlando, FL comes this four piece rock band.  The song submitted made a solid impression on me with its dueling guitar lines.  They definitely got my attention.  As the song progressed I was treated to big, big melodic choruses and one sweet breakdown before the band went into overdrive once again.  Overall a very nice mix of classic metal and modern hard rock.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/ourfutureleaders

Song Sample – “Enemy”


Atoaji Radellant – While it’s not exactly fair to this emcee from Richmond, VA the first thing I noticed was how much he looked like another emcee named Illogic.  Putting aside the visual similarities I found his song submission to be very enjoyable.  His wordplay is pretty fluid and all of his lyrics are annunciated well.  If pressed, I’d label this guy a conscious rapper.  See what you think waveriders.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/AJIZ
Song Sample – “Learn Bout Me”




Pete Herger – This band comes to us from Danbury, CT.  The song submitted (“Yell It Out”)begins with a very Bruce Springsteen-ish vibe to it musically.  Impressively, as the vocals build the feel of the song switches completely to remind me of U2.  It should be noted that the production of this song is very good.  I would recommend this to anyone modern pop rock fans out there.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/peteherger
Song Sample – “A Train”




The George Brown Band – An ear pleasing five member jam/rock band from North Hampton, NH.  The song I listened to had a very nice, laid back feel to it with some classy vocal harmonies throughout.  Their bio page compares them to Ben Harper, Dave Matthews Band, and DISPATCH.  I’d say if you enjoy any of those artists, this band is worth your attention.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/thegeorgebrownband
Song Sample – “Song For Winter”





Don L Castor – Well this was a nice surprise!  This Los Angeles, CA artist submitted a poppy R&B/soul track that I found highly enjoyable.  Right off the bat, I think this guy has a great voice.  Also, the mixture of modern pop sensibilities with classic soul elements sounds quite refreshing to my ears.  His bio references Seal, John Mayer, and Kem as similar artists.  I couldn’t agree more.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/donlcastor
Song Sample – “Pieces”








SjW – It takes guts to say that your band sounds like Rush, The Police, King’s X, and Genesis, and then actually get me to agree with you.  However, listening to this Reading, UK band’s song submission easily validated those comparisons in my eyes.  I heard elements of each band in the overall musical mix, and the best part was that I didn’t feel the song was derivative.  See if you agree with me waveriders.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/sjwrocks
Song Sample – “The Keeper”




--Penfold

Comments