Vacation Over - EP's on Pen's Desk - Featuring NexCyx and Julie the Band

NexCyx - Queen EP

In reality I was sitting in a terminal inside Grantley Adams International Airport in Barbados waiting to board my flight back to the US.  My mind however was traveling very quickly from memory to memory, recalling the fantastic events of my now-ending vacation.  I’d had a wonderful week packed full of engaging activities such as an ATV safari, a submarine tour, a scuba diving expedition, and even an exploration of an underground cave!  Trust me when I say if you haven’t been to Barbados, you’ve got to go.  You’ve got to go!  Looking back though, perhaps the best discovery from my vacation was a band named NexCyx.

It was Thursday night.  The week was winding down and I was looking for a little excitement to spice up my evening.  Thankfully, I overheard another traveler in the hotel lobby talk about this Irish pub and cookhouse called McBride’s that not only had great food, but great music as well.  An authentic Irish pub in Barbados?  This I had to see for myself, so off I went.  Sure enough, I was soon eating steak and potatoes and preparing to groove the night away.  About fifteen minutes after I had finished my meal, an announcer brought the band out onto the house stage.

NexCyx is a four piece hip-hop/pop/rock band from Bridgetown, Barbados.  The members are vocalist Mahalia Philllips, keyboardist Andre Clarke, bassist Kris Clarke, and guitarist Russell Padmore (two additional members are added for live performances).  Together, these musicians produce enticing sonic concoctions that will stick in your mind like stubborn taffy.  They are set to release a new five song EP entitled Queen that, based on its many merits, should garner them an awful lot of positive attention.

Defying it’s relatively short running time, the Queen EP shows off many different facets of the band.  Opening track “Bass” would fit easily into any night club’s playlist with big organic basslines layered over an insistent drum track.  “On the Floor” juxtaposes big metal-like choruses with more laid back, funky verses.  “Queen” is a full on modern pop music assault that doesn’t take no for an answer.  My favorite track on the EP, “A Little Bit”, comes next.  After the previous three tracks I was certainly not expecting a guitar dominated affair that sounds to me like some lost radio hit from the 1980’s.  The song simply stands out.  Wrapping up the proceedings the EP closes with the beautiful, socially conscious ballad “Take a Minute”.

Not to downplay any members’ contribution, but I would be remiss if I did not make special mention of Mahalia Phillips’ entire performance.  It is her voice and charisma which anchors the entire EP.  Her vocals are very clean and powerful when called upon throughout each of these five songs.  Also she exhibits a great deal of swagger and confidence when rhyming over the hip hop beats.  Bottom line?  This is really good stuff!  Really enjoyable music!  Well worth an investigatory look-see.



Julie The Band - Wild As The Sky EP

Thanks to my early arrival at the airport I was one of the first passengers able to board the plane.  Once I was onboard I found my designated seat in economy class, stowed my carry-on luggage in an overhead bin, and made myself comfortable in my window seat.  Before too long a group of four men, who obviously knew each other well based on their demeanor and the snippets of conversation I was able to overhear, made their way back to my section of the plane.  They analyzed their tickets, stowed their luggage, and took their seats; two in the row in front of me, one in the row behind me, and the last in the seat right next to me.

I greeted the man next to me and introduced myself.  We shook hands and I learned that his name was Nathan Blumenfeld-James.  He asked me what I did for a living and I replied with the usual…nothing fun.  Possibly perplexed by my smile, he then asked me what I did for fun.  His eyes noticeably lit up when I told him that I enjoy music more than anything else in the world.  It turns out that he’s the lead singer/guitarist for a band named Julie The Band.  The group’s backup vocalist/lead guitarist Dustin Bath was sitting in front of me with drummer Nick Adams, and the bass player Jon Spence sat behind us.  Mr. Blumenfeld-James quickly stood up and rifled through his carry-on bag.  He brought out a CD, handed it to me, and told me I might like what I heard.

It was from this simple beginning that my infatuation with Julie The Band’s Wild As The Sky EP came to be.  Granted, it’s hard not to love this band’s downright wonderful feel-good music.  They combine elements of pop rock and alternative country with soulful, uplifting vocals, resulting in all the negative thoughts floating around inside your head being put in a devastating submission hold.  Negativity is forced to tap out, and will be banished for the foreseeable future.  It’s pretty cut and dried.  There is just no other option when listening to these songs.  Happiness reigns supreme!

“Working for the Wind” saunters confidently out of the gate and immediately puts the listener under the band’s spell.  I especially like the post guitar solo breakdown featuring gang vocals and clapping hands leading right back to the main melody line and the song’s conclusion.  “Memories in my Head” slows things down a bit.  It’s a more delicate song with tasteful guitar flourishes throughout, and the vocals will haunt you with their tenderness.  The third song, “Wild as the Sky”, brings the alt-country elements strongly to the fore.  Acoustic guitar strumming functions as the backbone for the song, allowing a banjo to add all kinds of flavor to the overall atmosphere.  “Big Boned” is glorious and spiritual.  “Perfect Match” is another delicate song, similar to “Memories…”, only more so with a sparse arrangement that gives each note and chord ample room to breathe.  The band saves the best for last in my opinion with the triumphant “Free as a Cowboy”.  Rebellious attitude, soaring vocals, punchy guitars and drums; this song is ultra-powerful and ultra-memorable.

As you might have guessed the plane ride back to the US was spent listening to this EP on repeat over and over again, smiling the entire time.  The only momentary break from the music occurred when the in-flight meal was served.  The band members all knew what was going on, and they gave me a few winks and knowing grins before going about entertaining themselves.  Long story short, the EP went home with me that evening.  Do yourself a favor waveriders and check it out for yourself.  Your inner self will thank you.

 --Penfold

Buy here: Wild as the Sky - EP



Comments