Fistful Of Questions With Grim Darkthrone Of Cult Of Osiris


Self-proclaimed black metal addict.  Bjork enthusiast.  Musician.  Label boss.  Cat lover?  This edition of Fistful of Questions comes to you all the way from the “jewel of the north (England)” courtesy of the headman at Cult of Osiris.    
                                                                             
What is your full name?

Grim Darkthrone

Do you have an aliases?

Boss (Danthor Wildcrow from Uten Håp calls me that…)

Tell me about one of your first musical memories.

Listening to Green Day ‘Dookie’ at a friends, initially to laugh at the swear words and then thinking wait, this actually rocks. Was hooked shortly afterwards.

What was the first instrument that you played?

Guitar. I sucked at it. I tend to stick to vocals, if you can call it that.

What was the name of the first band you were in?

Nova Bomb. Terrible name.

How would describe Nova Bomb’s sound?

Nu Metal meets Hardcore meets Traditional Metal.

Are you currently active in any bands?

Nova Bomb keep threatening to reform. We never do. I made some trance/pop music as Ambient Rain (next single out 4th of March). Me and Danthor are working on a old school hardcore punk band called Utter Defiance. We should have a demo ready this year.

When did you start Cult of Osiris?

I started Cult of Osiris after hearing Uten Håp. I reached out and asked if I could release something. They said yes. I put the wheels in motion. This was maybe June last year.

What is the inspiration behind the name Cult of Osiris?

Osiris was the God of rebirth (and many other things) in ancient Egypt. I had just closed my cassette label down but couldn’t quite quit music for good. This felt like a rebirth… I was also writing a book on my life philosophies that I never finished (I might this year) and Cult of Osiris was to be the title as that was about personal rebirth.

Tell me more about the cassette label. 

I used to run Old Lion Recordings. We did 5 records before I realised that cassette only was going to cost me too much money. Met some ace people and that led to Cult so...

Tell me about the One compilation that you recently released.

I’ve been fortunate enough to work with 13 amazing Black Metal bands. I love old school mix tapes. Sadly, they are very dead. I wanted to release one for a couple of reasons, 1) because I miss them. 2) it is a great way to promote the label and many of our great bands all in one go. I can’t thank everyone who took part enough - I love it. I hope people do too.

What can we expect from Cult of Osiris in 2019?

In no particular order we will be releasing EPs by Order of the Wolf and ForbiHavet. We will be releasing full length albums by Uten Håp and Wintercrown. We will be venturing into cassettes and releasing a compilation of work by Verwulf Tyrant and a Apothecary/Uten Håp split. We also have a few more records in the works but I can’t give details yet as the deals are not finalized.

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

I am inspired by Counting Crows, Ryan Adams, loads of hardcore bands…

Name three hardcore albums that I have to hear. 
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come.
Bent Life - Never Asked For Heaven.
Hatebreed - Rise of Brutality.

What two things should people absolutely know about Leeds, England?

It truly is the jewel of the North. The people are amazing. There is a vibrant Magic The Gathering scene here. I love it.

What is the music scene like in Leeds?

Fantastic. There is something for everyone. Temple of Boom does great Metal and Hardcore shows. Even the Arena here is class. If you love music, you will love Leeds.

Would a metal album with all Bjork covers be something that you’d consider releasing?

Yes. I love Bjork. I have all her albums. I saw her in Manchester and it was one of the most amazing live experiences. I love how she never sits still. She is always pushing boundaries. Sometimes that does miss the mark in quality of output but when she gets it right, she is untouchable.

If you could insert yourself into any one band what band would it be and why?

I am happy right here helping these great bands get out there.

The year is 1999.  Where are you at and what are you listening to? 

I was in and out of Barnsley’s rock and metal clubs and pubs. I was a die hard Nu-Metal fan. I would’ve discovered hardcore and more extreme noise by then though too. The wheels were in motion. I was also in my band so maybe we were at a gig?

If you could only listen to one Nu-Metal album for the rest of your days which one would it be?

Deftones - Around The Fur.

What’s the longest time you’ve gone without bathing?

Maybe 2 days tops. We are privileged in this country that most of us have the ability to wash daily. We should take advantage of that.

What is the last concert that you went to?

Abigail Williams. It was great.

Darkthrone or Pig Destroyer (if you had to choose)?

Darkthrone all day. I don’t care for Pig Destroyer. The first 3 Darkthrone albums are sheer class.

Favorite Counting Crows song?

Tough. Anna Begins. I guess…

Favorite book?

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Favorite movie?

Fight Club or Pulp Fiction. I can never choose.

Favorite album?

August and Everything After by Counting Crows.

Favorite meal?

I like these all you can eat meat places that have popped up. Take me to one of those…

Favorite guilty pleasure?

I don’t feel guilty about anything that I enjoy doing. I am here to enjoy myself.   (Hell yes.  That’s a great fucking philosophy man.)






~El Pedo Caliente (aka Uncle Jameson from the Fistful of DOOM show)

Comments