Fistful of Questions With Buzzurd


What do you get when you take a guitarist whose first instrument was a clarinet, a Dallas Cowboys loving bassist, a guitarist that demands to play the drums and a vocalist that is waiting on a call from Dream Theater?  You get the gents from the band Buzzürd.  Four old guys that just dropped an EP of exquisite frankensteinian doom titled “Uncreation” and the recipients of this round of Fistful of Questions.  

What is your full name and role in the band?

Daniel Anderson- Guitars
Ryan James- Bass
Colin Drake- Drums
Richard Loew- Vocals

Do you have any aliases?

Daniel-  Nope.
Ryan-  None I care to share
Colin-  That British Guy
Richard-  Jasenko

If you had an alias what would it be?

Daniel- Budda
Colin-  Drake, Colin Drake, Licensed to Bill...

What bands are you actively involved with?

Daniel-  Buzzürd
Ryan-  Buzzürd
Colin-  Buzzürd; I’m a One Band Man...
Richard-  Crambone, Rise to Die

What’s the name of the first band that you were in?

Daniel-  I don’t remember
Ryan-  Prodigy was the name of the high school talent show band I played bass in. We covered Down Boys by Warrant and Seek and Destroy by Metallica.
Colin-  27; I played guitar in that band. Buzzürd is the first band I’ve played drums in.
Richard-  Yours Truly in high school.

You were formerly called Justinian, correct?
   
Yes

What inspired the name change?

Ryan-  Justinian was a decent name but didn’t fit old dudes playing doom like Buzzürd did.
Colin-  Lot’s of people kept asking us ‘So…., what’s Justinian?’

Where did the name Justinian originate from?

Ryan-  We threw random names in a hat and that one got pulled. I suppose it refers to the Roman emperor.

What inspired the name Buzzürd (which I love by the way)? 

Ryan-  Trying to describe ourselves with a proper name “old buzzards” I guess. The name Buzzard was taken so we got creative with bad spelling.
Colin-  Thanks! Punctuation was really important to us as well; hence Buzzürd. The u felt awkward…
Richard-  I resemble a buzzard as well.

Tell me about the formation of Buzzürd? 

Ryan-  Me and Daniel met back in 2015 playing with a guy named Ron. After a month we decided to try and do something ourselves and found some guitar player from London named Colin who absolutely insisted on playing drums. We saw Richard play in a band we really dug called Plough and thru mutual acquaintances asked him to sing for us.
Colin-  We start each gig in the I formation and usually move to a gullwing inverse V by the 3rd song… I’d played guitar in bands back in the UK and in a band in Texas, and wanted to try a new challenge. I’d always dabbled with drums and liked the idea of sitting down all the way through a gig…
Richard-  I was real impressed with these guys every time we played with them on a bill.  It’s been a great evolution since I joined.  A real collaborative effort here.

What instruments do you play?

Daniel-  Guitar. Bass. A little drums.
Ryan-  Bass and Guitar
Colin-  Drums, Guitar, Ukulele, Banjo, Bass, Keyboards.
Richard-  Throat

What musician or musicians have most influenced your approach to music and or the way you play?

Ryan-  Hendrix is my favorite musician of all but I’m a rhythm player never really got into soloing. Steve Harris is a huge influence as far as songwriting approach but I’m nowhere near the player he is. I’m a huge Kiss fan and IMO Gene Simmons is one of the most underrated bass players ever and that’s kinda the main influence.
Daniel-  Billy Gibbons, chet atkins, chuck berry. My dad worked at DBU as head librarian I would go all summer and Listen to every record I could. Then I came across a Queen album
Colin-  On Drums; Jean Paul Gaster, Chuck Biscuits, Joey Castillo, Buddy Rich, Brann Dailor. On Guitar; Yngwie J(!) Malmsteen, Duane Allman, Brian May, Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen
Richard-  Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie James Dio, James Labrie, Russell Allen, Freddie Mercury

What was the first instrument that you played?

Daniel-  Clarinet
Ryan-  Well I used to beat on Kleenex boxes as my friends would strum the guitar. As far as trying to actually learn a song, it was bass in 9th grade.
Colin-  I started classical guitar lessons aged 7.
Richard: I waited on recorder back in the day...played a mean triangle too

Tell me about one of your first musical memories.

Daniel-  Jamming with my dad
Ryan-  Seeing Motley Crue in 1985. It was my first concert and I was blown away by the energy of that band back then. About 6 years later I saw Kyuss open for Faith No More and as good as FNM was, Kyuss took the show. They became a top five band for me.
Colin-  Growing up in the UK, we lived near a football (soccer!) ground. I’d hear the fans singing their songs and chants for the local home team and then copy them on the ride to daycare. I always sang and played guitar in church but didn’t really get the goosebumps for music until age 11 when I heard the album ‘Marching Out’ by Yngwie J(!) Malmsteen. I’ve been hopelessly addicted to metal ever since.
Richard-  My first concert was Kiss on the Love gun tour...still remember how awesome they were.

Do you have any upcoming shows (when/where)?

Ryan-  Division Brewing, November 16th with From the Grave and Caballo Obscuro.

That’s your CD release show, right?  

Yes

What were some of your favorite performances at Heavy Mash 2018?

Ryan-  I was so glad to have seen Witchcryer.  I had heard so much about them. Orthodox Fuzz is a dfw band I’ve just missed several times but they were great.
Daniel-  Witchcryer, the great electric quest. Orthodox Fuzz. Hell I liked them all!
Colin-  Had to work, bummed…
Richard-  Had to work as well.

You guys have a new shirt on the horizon.  When should we expect that to be available?

Ryan-  We are hoping to have that by the 16th.its a cool design David Paul Seymour did for us.
Colin-  Just waiting on the 4xl’s

What band or bands have you played with that have really impressed you with their live show?

Daniel-  Doomstress. Wooden earth. WoFat. There’s a lot to name.
Ryan-  Doomstress, Space Ape, Caballo Obscuro, Stone Machine, always impressed by regional dooms acts out here.
Colin-  I’d say all the above and add Turbid North, Iron Jaw, Rabid Flesh Eaters. Sometimes it’s great to have a half Doom, half Thrash bill as long as the crowds hang about.
Richard-  Wo fat, Doomstress, Caballo Obscuro, Rabid Flesh Eaters, Of Dieties and Dust.

Do you have a pre-show ritual?

Daniel-  Two beers and shot of tequila.
Ryan-  I tend to drive there.
Colin-  I can’t talk about that here…
Richard-  Tequila shot and a Shiner

If you could insert yourself into any band what band would it be and why?

Ryan-  I always feel like I could of stopped the black album from happening, maybe get it back to the nwobhm days of Kill’em All.  Or perhaps insist on actual bass tracks on And Justice.
Richard-  Dream Theater needs me ...still waiting on their call.

Have you ever heard a song and immediately wished you had written it?  If so… what was the song and artist?

Daniel-  No not really.
Colin-  Iron Tusk by Mastodon.
Ryan-  Just about every song on Sky Valley
Richard-  Lady of the Snow from Symphony X...what a epic song

Do you have any non-metal musical inspirations?

Daniel-  GOD.
Colin-  Bach (JS, not CPE), Vivaldi, Stan Kenton, Amon Tobin, Underworld, Aphex Twin, Skrillex.
Ryan-  Big fan of Hüsker Dü and Bob Moulds stuff. Jesus Lizard, Ministry, Godflesh and my favorite late 80’s/90’s band is Fugazi.
Richard: Huge fan of the Moody Blues ...the poetry is amazing

The year is 1986….   Where are you at and what are you listening to?

Daniel-  In Arlington listening to Metallica. Suicidal tendencies. Motörhead. Black Sabbath.
Colin-  Palmers Green, North London, UK, Cassette copy of Malmsteen’s Marching Out on Side A and Queen’s It’s a Kind of Magic on Side B. 
Ryan-  I didn’t get into thrash till the next year (9th grade) so it was hair metal and Hendrix,Stones, Beatles, plus Sabbath before high school.
Richard-  Pretty sure I had Master of Puppets on repeat for that whole year.

Non-metal song that you’d like to do a cover of?

Daniel- Rolling Stones paint it black.
Colin-  Prokofiev’s ‘Montagues and Capulets’ - down tuned and slow as f…
Ryan-  Off the cuff I’d say Seasons of Wither by Aerosmith
Richard-  Melancholy man

What’s the longest you’ve ever gone without bathing?

Daniel-  Two days
Colin-  4 Days, camping out…
Ryan-   Never more than a day
Richard-  I don’t understand the question

What is an absolute band killer?

Colin-  Serial Murder
Ryan-  Having someone insist on being the “band leader” without having the chops or any idea what that entails.
Richard-  Egos

Does a band need a “band leader?” 

Nope.

Pantera or Down, if you had to choose?

Daniel-  Pantera.
Colin-  Pantera.
Ryan- ok Pantera
Richard-  Pantera

Favorite book?

Daniel-  No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs by John Lydon
Colin-  Berlin Noir Trilogy; Philip Kerr.
Ryan-  Big fan of the Dark Tower series
Richard-  Asimov, Foundation Trilogy

Favorite movie?

Daniel: Brawl in cell block 99.
Colin: Pi
Ryan: Goodfellas
Richard: Fifth Element

Favorite Album?

Daniel-  Twisted Sister Under The Blade.
Colin-  Songs for the Deaf - QOTSA
Ryan-  Master of Reality (Black Sabbath)
Richard-  Rust in Peace (Megadeth)

Comments