A Ripple Conversation With Under The Mountain



What have been your musical epiphany moments?

I'd have to say Porcupine Tree. The level of musicianship in that band is just incredible, they're on my bucket list of bands to see live for sure if they ever get back together. - Myles

I'd say Korn, just because they were so different than other bands at the time. -Fred

Seeing Tool live for the first time, or any time. - Curt

When I was about 8 years old, the first time I ever hear Ozzy's Crazy Train was my first, and possibly my biggest musical epiphany. I was just sitting alone, listening to my parents' radio when it came on, and that guitar riff entered my ears and absolutely blew me away. From then on, I realized what music was capable of doing for people and that's when I really knew I wanted to be a musician. -Steve

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?

It really changes song by song, sometimes one of us will have a full song written out, sometimes we'll piece together riffs we've got. Usually by the time a song has finished we've all made some kind of change or addition to it. – Myles

I usually listen to the riff that the guys wrote and then come up with an interesting drum beat to follow. Then I will work on the drum fills. -Fred

For me, personally, I always start with music, and that's what inspires me to write lyrics. It can take me years sometimes to get a musical idea to the point where I feel I've actually written a song, and sometimes it literally can take ten minutes. This being said, writing a song with a great band alongside of me is even better, everybody has an input and every song we write, we all write. -Steve

Who has influenced you the most?

As far as rhythm guitar goes, I typically write more groove oriented riffs. I take a lot from bands like Clutch and Down. As for soloing I try and channel my inner Angus. – Myles

Too many.... John Bonham, Vinnie Paul V.I.P, Danny Carey... the list goes on. - Fred

Since beginning this band with Myles, I have definitely been taking on more the role of a singer and less as a guitar player, since he now blows me out of the water with his solos, I've been really working at exactly that. The singers that I've really been idolizing, are also some of my very favourite songwriters as well. I would have to say that my biggest influence with singing and songwriting would have to be Chris Cornell, especially when it came to Soundgarden. I'd also have to mention Freddy Mercury, Maynard James Keenan and Ed Kowalczyk. -Steve


Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?

Steve and I saw Clutch live a couple months ago and that really lit a fire under me to try writing something simple and stripped back, but still heavy as hell. – Myles

I try to not get too wrapped up in "what's popular" because I don't want that to be what influences me, I want it to be from within, not outward. That being said, I'm constantly discovering new bands and new music that my old favorites are still putting out there. Of course, any kind of life experiences can be a great motivational tool. -Steve

We're all a product of our environment. Tell us about the band's hometown and how that reflects in the music? Where'd the band name come from?

I'll let Curt tell this story since he came up with it - Myles

It was probably the hardest decision we've had to agree on so far. We all had pages and pages of ideas. I was reading a fantasy novel when the phrase under the Mountain came up (several times). And speaking of being a product of our environment, Nanaimo, B.C. is located at the base of Mt. Benson. We all live under the Mountain. - Curt

Growing up on Vancouver Island has definitely given meaning to "island time" for me and it's definitely given me a laid back approach to writing music. It's also definitely given me an appreciation to some "loving life and the place I live" kind of Skynyrd type music. -Steve

You have one chance, what movie are you going to write the soundtrack for?

Oh man, I think it'd be awesome to write a soundtrack for like a badass gritty western movie... Something with Clint Eastwood in his prime. I'd be so down with that! That's an awesome question, haha. – Myles

I think it would be really cool to write the soundtrack to a Wayne's world kind of movie! Just write a bunch of fun rock n roll songs.... Not unlike a lot of Under the Mountain stuff! -Steve

You now write for a music publication (The Ripple Effect?). You're going to write a 1,000 word essay on one song. Which would it be and why?

You're really making me think with this one... My first thought would be Lateralus for obvious reasons but I don't know nearly enough about music to do it justice and would probably end up getting torn to shreds for it. I think I'd pick Oblivion from Mastodon. It's one of my top favourite songs and after all these years still gives me goosebumps once in a while. - Myles

I always like to talk about how people have rules and regulations to music, like there's some improper way to writing. But as long as music gives you some sort of feeling and vibes, then you're doing it right, you know? I realize that's not what you asked, but there are so many songs out there that just give such a mood and feeling, whether it's the lyrics or just strictly the music, and I could talk for hours about that. I'm thinking of a lot of Chris Cornell and Soundgarden songs with this and I just can't pick just one. -Steve

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?

There's a couple I probably shouldn't say, my mom's probably going to read this and I'd like to be able to look her in the eye next time I see her, haha... I think one of the first times I really felt rock n roll was on our first tour. I jumped off the stage in the middle of my solo for "Crawl" from our first album and had a chick pour a shot in my mouth while I was in the crowd. Another good one was... I think new years? A couple years ago we were playing and for some reason I was chewing gum, which I never do on stage, and totally unrehearsed, I'd never even attempted this before, I spat my gum up in the air and caught it in my mouth while I was playing. I just remember looking at my buddy Jon, who drums in a couple bands back home, and he was going THAT WAS AMAZING! - Myles

I have played a handful of shows of which I have absolutely no recollection of doing so. Auto pilot is on point. - Curt

Well, there's only been indecent exposure at one of our shows, at least that I've witnessed, which is a little disappointing to me, haha. One girl flashed us at a show a few years back, but that was pretty awesome! But my favorite thing to see on stage is fans singing our music while we're playing live. That to me means that we've actually affected people's lives, people really want to listen to us to the point that they know the lyrics!! That's been happening more and more, and outside of our hometown too! So every time I see that happening, I feel like a f*cking rock star! -Steve

Tell us about playing live and the live experience for you and for your fans?

We've got a really high energy show, we love goofing around on stage. Between Steve and I pushing each other around or messing with each others pedals, or me flipping off Fred, we just always have a great time. Every time we play a show in Nanaimo by the end of the set we usually can't move around on the stage cause we'll have people from the crowd jump up there with us and sing the last couple songs. We love those guys! - Myles

It's my happy place. I was nervous my first time on stage with a band in high-school, but the hundreds of cheering schoolmates sealed the deal for me. - Curt

Myles nailed it on the head there. We just love to have fun and get people amped up!! -Steve

What makes a great song?

I'd say a great song speaks to you when you're in a particular mood. Not every song is great for every moment, but every song should be great for the right moment. - Myles

When it gives you a skingasm. – Curt

I definitely find there are many things for different songs and for different reasons. Before how I was mentioning how some songs take ten minutes to write and some take years, well some really need that extra time to put more thought into and some only take ten minutes because they have no real substance to them, they're just fun in a nutshell, really. But finding the right chord progressions, right melody, right lyrics, rhythm, attitude, instruments... The list goes on, and it sounds complicated, but sometimes you just feel it and it clicks, and you just know what the song needs. It's like they live and breathe and you need to feed it what it needs. -Steve

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?

The first song we wrote as a band was called One More Line, it's all about wanting to bring back real music. – Myles

I'm not sure if One More Line was written before or after the song I wrote called Digging a Hole. But that song sounds like a song about death and depression... It's just about digging a hole -Steve

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

Personally I kinda feel like Ash and Dust is my baby on this album. We've all made our contributions but it started out as my song and I really put a lot of thought into it. – Myles

I'm definitely most proud of Relapse as more of a personal song. From the beginning of writing it to the final touches of recording, I feel like I really put my heart into it. Our producer, Tony, got me to sing it after a long day of recording and I was all drunk. He got me to go for a walk and get really pissed off to get the right vibe for it... I think he was right, and I love the final product. -Steve

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

I feel like I keep going back to them, but fuckin Clutch man... Those guys just consistently throw out these amazing albums! We actually got to meet Neil and JP after their show at the Commodore Ballroom. Super awesome guys. HEY NEIL IF YOU'RE READING THIS, LISTEN TO OUR DAMN ALBUM ALREADY! – Myles

Well, unfortunately, I can't just default back to Soundgarden/Cornell on this one. I've been getting into quite a few different bands lately though and I usually want to give it a while before I say too much good about anyone, but Graveyard has been blowing me away lately, they're a super awesome band writing some kickass music! -Steve

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?

For local, smaller bands I buy cd's because I like having them, for big bands gimme digital. I don't have a good enough ear to tell quality changes and it's just so convenient. – Myles


Lately it's been digital. I feel like a hypocrite, because I feel like Spotify is kind of shitty with how much they pay the artists. At the same time, it's introduced me to a lot of amazing music and it really gets us out there to the listener's ear, which is really what we're after. But I have to say, there's something to be said about throwing on some vinyl with a glass of whiskey and just enjoying the hell out of it! -Steve

The only thing other than gear that I collect is vinyl. Great way to support bands too. – Curt

Whiskey or beer? And defend your choice

Yes – Myles

I don't drink... - Fred

My body tells me I can't drink beer no more and I hate it every day for it. But thank-f*cking-god there's whiskey! If I had to give up a nice neat glass of bourbon or scotch, I think I'd just off myself right then and there. -Steve

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?

I'm from Nanaimo, and you gotta check out Fascinating Rhythm! – Myles

Nanaimo, BC. Definitely Fascinating Rhythm and Sound Heritage. -Steve

What's next for the band?

Tour! We haven't decided where yet but we've got big talks in the works with our label, Risqu̩ Disque and we'll let all y'all know as soon as we've made some decisions!! РMyles

Money and fame!!! Just kidding...Another tour would be awesome. -Fred

Myles said it, we gotta hit the road man! And maybe even the air!!! -Steve

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC! If you're reading this, you like music. Go to shows, get off your ass. Buy merch, buy music don't just stream it. Doing this is expensive and every little bit helps. Thanks for the interview Todd, it's been fun! – Myles

Exactly what Myles said. - Fred

Stay tuned for more Under the Mountain, we're just getting started!! -Steve

Comments