Dum Dum Girls - Too True



A few weeks back, I caught the Dum Dum Girls set on KEXP and I really just loved it. I went right over to the kind people of Sub-Pop and snagged me a review copy of their latest album "Too True." Woah, folks, woah.

I'm a big fan of The Ravonettes. There are few bands I like to get into an altered state of consciousness with more than The Ravonettes. "Too True" made me rethink several life decisions, including who I listen to when the need for alteration arises.

Their sound is a big mixture of things I like. They sound like The Ravonettes, The Pretenders, Madonna's 80s stuff, Pat Benatar, The Magnetic Fields, and (though they may deny it) The Ramones. The Ramones may come as a surprise to anybody who's listened to this band,  but it's all in the was Dee Dee (Dum Dum's singer/songwriter) delivers her vocals. You hear a lot of Joey in there, it's subtle, but it's there. Or I'm crazy, whichever.

If you haven't put it together, the Dum Dums have a very 80s-esque sound, which is something I've been into for the last year or so, so that helps. It's not retropop, but it doesn't take much from mainstream music past 1999.

I really love this band now. I'm glad I found them and I'm more than happy to tell all of you about them. You'll be doing yourself a favor to pick up on them.

--Headshot

http://wearedumdumgirls.com/


And here's the set that got me into them:

Comments