Beijing - Nights





As I try to settle back into my reviewing ways after a very busy summer, I carefully peruse my backlogged qeue of bands looking to be reviewed.  I’ll be honest… 70% of it is bad.  I was getting weary from the auditory crap spewing through my headphones.  I was about to call it a day.  Then, I clicked on Beijing as a last ditch effort.

I am so glad I did.  From the the moment Night begins, you are taken into a gorgeous world of sweeping guitars and beautiful vocals.  This is very mature and professional music.  They call themselves an alternative rock band.  Thant works.  This band takes the great sound of good 90’s bands and brings it to the current  generation without coming off as corny or out of date.  While the songs aren’t complicated and there are far too many “guitar wailing in the background”  type “solos” (more like melodies), this is the type of music that can relax you and truly take you away.  You sort of fall into this album like you fall into a comfortable couch.  It’s a well worn friend… at least coming from this 90’s kid. 

The real star of the show is vocalist Eric Thornberg.  A smooth rocker with great pipes and tone, Thornberg switches seamlessly between breathy, powerful, and moody vocals.  He does it all with such great emotion that it makes it difficult to ignore these guys. 

This is a really good album.  There is definitely some room for growth, and I’d like to see a bit more edge in their music, but overall this is a really solid listen.  I hope to hear more from these guys in the future.


--The Professor

Comments