Fossil Collective - On and On EP


On & On - EP, Fossil Collective

…before I get into what I think about this album, I am just going to say that this band is one of the reasons the question  “who do you think the best band out there is?”  will NEVER be answered.   I’d never heard about the Fossil Collective until I hit play…then, THEN!  My eyes were opened to the wonderful world in which they live in and now I’m their neighbor…their fan…their scribe!  Ren Havieu and Benjamin Francis Leftwich have followed up their freshman album with this new EP, “On and On.”  I only wish it would go On and On, but…that is why there is a rewind button.  Note to self: after reviewing this EP, GO PURCHASE THEIR FIRST ONE!

This EP can truly be described as a road trip to the museum of souls.  “On and On” was reminiscent of R.E.M. and Fleetwood Mac in that their rhythms mesmerize…their vocals create tension that require you to choke back the tears and the lyrics delicately tell their beautiful story.  “Rivers Edge” reminded me of the soundtrack to Sean Penn and Eddie Vedder’s INTO THE WILD…an endless walk towards a questionable destination.  “Silent Alarm” was beautifully haunting.  Normally I’m not a huge fan of huge reverb effects on vocals, but in this case, I make an exception…in that it made me feel like I was right there with the story teller.  Last, but not least, “Fog” . . . what a serene way in which to end this EP.  The magical use of metaphors in this last song are masterful!  Now, enjoy your day…I’m hitting rewind and going On and On…

--Fish

http://www.facebook.com/fossilcollective
  
REVIEW     I give them 5 out of 5 Fish!


Comments