It Came From ReverbNation #22- Featuring Holocene, Rosa & the UltraTight, Michaela Burger, Joel Cote, Centric, and Paul Y Justin





From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

Holocene – This gentleman from Auckland, NZ really impressed me with a song submission that sounded like a reggae-focused take on Pink Floyd’s “Money”.  Both the music and his vocals were very ear pleasing.  You could say that I was pretty surprised when the next song I listened to ended up being a heavily distorted, grungy affair.   Very cool, and very different.  Clearly this man has a variety of tunes to offer the listener.  Similar artists include Nirvana, Bob Marley, and Scott Weiland.

Song Sample – Beg Me Please 

Rosa & The UltraTight – This four member unit calls New York, NY home and based on their submission they have more bounce to their pop/rock ounce than anyone off the top of my head.  Seriously, my foot wasn’t just tapping to the rhythm.  No.  It was as if a spring had been augmented into my calf muscle!  Also of note is the fact that Rosa’s vocals really stand out from the crowd in my opinion.  Similar artists include Madonna, Alanis Morissette, and Elton John.

Song Sample – Move Higher 

Michaela Burger – Waveriders, I can think of only one word to describe the submission we received from this energetic artist hailing from Adelaide, AU.  That word is infectious.  She has quite the powerful voice and her singing immediately grabbed my full attention.  Quite the vocal range too!  Her bio defines her as a folk, singer/songwriter, but the song I listened to was much heavier on the pop side of the spectrum.  Similar artists include Missy Higgins, Kate Bush, and Tori Amos.  Take a listen folks!

Song Sample – Measure My Love  
 

Joel Cote – Wow!  What an arresting song submission!  To my ears it’s a crazy mish mash of hardcore punk, rock, and a splash of reggae thrown in during the choruses.  I may be wrong, but I believe the lyrics are in French.  The second song I listened to was almost completely at odds with the first, being a downtempo, swinging blues rock affair.  I love it!  I’m telling you waveriders, there’s something special going on in Saint-Luc, QC, CA.  Click the link and see what I’m talking about.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/joelcote
Song Sample – Rumble Dogs 

Centric – Looking for some downright propulsive modern melodic southern metal?  Good, because the four men that make up this band from Knoxville, TN are ready to deliver what the doctor ordered.  Armed with some serious riffs and nasty guitar tones they should have no trouble accomplishing their goal of “(taking) the mainstream by storm”.  Similar artists include Pop Evil and Alice In Chains.



Paul Y Justin – And now for something completely different!  Do you like artists like Devo, Ween, and Joy Division?  Yes I realize that those artists are very different from one another, but if you can imagine them getting together to make music than you should have an idea of what to expect from this group out of San Diego, CA.  The vocals on the song I listened to are Devo through and through.  The music sounds like a more aggressive version of Joy Division with heavily distorted electronic elements.  Altogether a very interesting band!  Go forth and listen waveriders.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/pyj
Song Sample – Bury Me  
 

--Penfold

Comments