Big Rock Club - Extinction

 Extinction

Have you ever listened to an album and just … needed to smile?  That’s what I felt when I finished spinning Big Rock Club’s new album, Extinction. 

This father/son duo brings part rock, part funk, and all heart.  The album thrives on creating grooves and melodies that get stuck in your head for days.  The intricate guitar work and intelligent rhythmic designs ensure that this band sticks out above others in it’s strange “funk-rock” genre. 

“Fire” is a standout track for me.  It combines a Maroon Five style guitar progression with extremely tight rhythm and vocals.  It’s a song that is sure to be repeated in my collection of favorite songs. 

It’s not a perfect album by any means.  Vocally, there are times when it almost feels… corny.  The lyrics just don’t grab me in a way that I enjoy.  That’s ok.  It’s not an album that dwells on the overly serious.  It’s also a tad inconsistent.  Some tracks are much better than others, even though they are all enjoyable tunes. 

A tightly woven and intelligent listen, this genre smashing indie jam band is a great listen, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys some easily digestible quality music.


--The Professor


Bad Man Live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llnkOMUA7vM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Comments