It Came From ReverbNation #4

From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

Gertrude’s Hearse – The song submitted by this five member outfit from Seattle, WA took me by surprise.  First of all, with that band name I expected to hear some dark metal.  Second, and more importantly, this song is a fantastic blend of Americana/alt. country with some early rock and roll trappings for good measure.  A boot scootin’ country song featuring saxophone?  Sign me up please!

ReverbNation Page - http://www.reverbnation.com/gertrudeshearse
Song Sample - “Yellowing Pages”





Shining Through – Anybody out there like pop punk music?  Yeah, I thought so.  Have you heard of this quartet from Encinitas, CA?  No?  Well you have now.  The music is suitably punchy and energetic, but the real star of the show in my opinion is the intelligent lyrical content.  Honestly, this is some of the most intricate wordplay I’ve come across lately regardless of genre.  Very impressive!

ReverbNation Page - http://www.reverbnation.com/shiningthrough
Song Sample - “San Diego Summer”




Jacob Waters – Attention those of you searching for heartfelt singer/songwriter fare.  This young man from Philadelphia, PA submitted a song that instantly soothed my worldly concerns.  I really like this guy’s voice.  In fact, I’d go so far as to describe it as serene.  This particular song also features the honeyed tones of a perfectly complimentary female background singer.  I suggest you take a look.

ReverbNation Page - http://www.reverbnation.com/jacobwaters
Song Sample - “Inside Your Hands”






Dead Gumbies – After starting up the song submitted by the two gentlemen who make up this band my first thought was that this music reminds me of The Dictators.  I like The Dictators!  As the song progressed it made me think of Alice Cooper.  I like Alice Cooper too!  A couple of their other songs have far less of a punk feel and lean more heavily on the rock end of the equation.  Have a listen.

ReverbNation Page - http://www.reverbnation.com/deadgumbies
Song Sample - “Subliminal Overdose”






Glenn White – Are there any jazz fans in the house?  If you’re a fan of modern jazz saxophone players you might want to check out this gentleman from New York, NY.  His fluid playing impressed me with how easily he seemed to transition from calm soundscapes to more technical passages.  I also find the warm tones he coaxes from the instrument rather appealing.

ReverbNation Page - http://www.reverbnation.com/glennwhite
Song Sample – “Time In Transit”





Robert Thornton Kent – This gentleman from Oklahoma City, OK plays some mighty fine folk/Americana music.  I really like the way his slightly weathered voice sounds coupled with the acoustic guitar and string instruments.  If you like Bob Dylan and Townes Van Zandt you should definitely give this music a chance.

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/robertthorntonkent
Song Sample –




--Penfold

Comments