Kraanium – Post Mortal Coital Fixation

 Post Mortal Coital Fixation

So I received this album to review and I was pretty excited about it, because I had heard a few things about this band and this release in particular, and I wanted to hear it.  Lo and behold, not only did I get to hear it, I get to write about my experience. 

I tend to like the more extreme ends of the metal spectrum, so I will readily admit that this particular band and genre are not for everyone.  I’m going to share some song titles with you in a moment and tell you that they made me laugh out loud (or LOL, for the kids out there).  And then you are going to wonder just what kind of person I really am.  Let me just say you won’t be the first, or the thousand and first.

This is a release in the vein of Cannibal Corpse, that style of death metal with gruesome song titles.  There is liberal use of audio clips to help move the songs along, or perhaps give us a clue as to where the song titles came from.  As for song titles, how about “Slurping The Vaginal Pus”?  Or “Bursting Rectal Sores”? My personal favorite title is “Entrails Full Of Vermin”, for the simple reason that it uses two of my very favorite words in one title (entrails and vermin, in case you were wondering).  There’s “Coprophagial Asphyxiation”, (coprophagia is the act of eating poo).  Shall I continue, perhaps with “Baptized In Boiling Sewage”? Or “Stillborn Neurotic Fuck Feast”?  I think you get the idea.

There are many ways that most people would describe these titles.  Sick, twisted, ewwww, are some that I can come up with.  And you may want to ask me, “Dude, you laughed at that, what the fuck is wrong with you?”  Yes it is shock value, a way to get the attention of the record buying public.  Or maybe scare of those who are not adventurous enough to listen to this.

The simple fact is, there is nothing ground breaking here.  This is a style of metal that has been around for at least 20 years now, and it wasn’t really ground breaking at that time either other than the use of the graphic songs titles and album art.  You either like this stuff or you don’t, and I love it.  Kraanium are very competent in what they do.  Most of the songs are the same tempo, there’s not a lot of variation in what they do, but there is nothing wrong with sticking with what you do well and making the most of it.  When you get into a niche genre like this, you pretty much know who your fans are going to be.  Count me as one of them, and if you are a fan as well, go get this album. 

- ODIN



Comments