Revenge of the Quick Ripple Bursts -

Sinem Saniye- I'll Confide

This. Is. Fabulous.

I must admit, before I go on about how you need to locate this woman's music if it is the last thing you do, that when I first hit play I went “Damn. Another freaking carbon copy female pop singer.” I am so glad I stuck it out. Yes, the music is pop, but has something about it that keeps you listening, without groaning.

The vocals are strong, feminine, and perfectly in tune. The music may be pop but it also has jazz elements that take it from tacky pop, to something sexy and nice for your ears. Plus, the bonus of catchy lyrics!

“I was looking to my left when I almost saw you pass me by,
I've been lost on my own, that's why I chose you for the drive
Cause you know who I am, only on the inside”


Phlying Saucer -Breaking Down Takes Two

It has been a while since Racer has sent me anything that is very heavy pop/rock and I was very grateful for Phlying Saucer!

They have the sound that comes with the territory of pop/rock, but they do it extremely well which makes it awesome to listen to. The riffs hold the pop hook, with the rock heavyness, the drumming keeps the beat and takes the song up another level. The vocals are clean, and the lyrics catchy. It is a tidy song, stripping away the pointless pop, and taking in the rock for something that is simple and full.

“I want to go, if I can bear
I want to stay, but why should I care?
You know it's just a matter of time,
Before you end up in my arms again”

If you are after some high quality pop/rock, follow Phlying Saucer around for a while.

--Koala


Switchblade Jesus - EP

Out of Corpus Christi, Switchblade Jesus fire up a value-packed combo (i.e., a 3-song ep) of melodic raspy vocals (think Dave Wyndorf), short, well written songs and obvious enthusiasm for the material. “Joyride” features a nice riff, well constructed songs... nearly catchy! Love it when pop hooks and stoner riffs come together. “Negative Planet 11”: very cool riff in D, a bit Hendrix and a bit Badlands; and “Copperhead,” which sounds vaguely like Seduce (almost certainly coincidental); very heavy but still a recognizably rock (late-80s) type tune. The weakest tune here, but probably only because of its relatively longer running time of 5 minutes (versus three for the other songs). Probably great for a 70mph road trip.

--Horn

http://switchbladejesus1.bandcamp.com/album/switchblade-jesus






Comments