Cain Marko- At Sea


The last person on that planet someone should be talking to about punk is me.  Mainly because although I like the genre, I know very little of it. I do have ears though! So, I can pick out the good sounds, and Cain Marko's EP At Sea has the good audio waves going on. The riffs, the drums, the half screaming vocals... Works. Listen to this EP. It's on your bucket list now.

I am a sucker for a good riff. I will listen to the most horrible, disastrous music if the guitars work for me. The guitar work on At Sea is top, it is smooth, heavy, light, dynamic, sexy, cool... I just really don't have the words to describe how good this sounds. It is times like these I wish I could quote music (N.B. I spent the last ten minutes doing that. It got backspaced as it was just a mess of “duh dummmm duh duh duh duh duh”'s). Coupled with the kick arse drums, they have me hooked.

Luckily for my own sanity and the preservation of my ear drums I don't need to listen to Cain Marko only because of their guitars. They pull together the whole deal with ease, making some of the best punk my underexposed ears have heard. Even if I remove the factor of being punk, some of the best music I have heard.

“At Sea in St. Paul” starts the EP I have just been preaching to you. Exactly what you expect after the hype I just gave it. Long enough intro to pull you in, but not too long you start looking to skip into the middle of the song. Then they hit you with their vocals and at first you might feel surprised and repulsed by the screaming coming out of no where and next to those guitars, but stick with it. Another ten seconds and I bet you aren't looking for the skip button no more. Effortless pulling together. Like a heavy punchy ballet for your ears.

“Ralph, I Can't See” is where I will pull in the first quote of their lyrics.

“The light pours in to show these unhealthy relationships with alcohol poisoning
Our eyes were wide once, singing songs we meant so damn much it hurt
We were alive then”

See? Perfect. Well, no you can't see because you aren't listening to it yet. Hurry!


Things get a little louder, a fuller feeling to the whole song with “I Read This In A Book.”


Then, the finale, the song that made me fall in love with At Sea, “Let's Go Kill The Bastard.” This guitar brimming, drum ridden piece of music was something else. The vocals here are different, still the half scream, but when the opening and parts of the song are sung in this chorus, it transforms it. I don't know how else to put it, but it takes it to a whole new spin. Then they sing-

“He laughed. “Redemption? That's a funny thing.
Wait till tomorrow. See what the sun will bring”
Alone in silence. Dusk painted overhead.
Shrug and sigh traverse back home again.”

Angry, clever, catchy. I can't fault it.

Cain Marko really punched out something that is (excuse the pun) music to my ears. At Sea is worth the time listening to, even if it is for their guitar.

A very happy

--Koala


Streaming/Info/Cool Stuff
http://cainmarko.bandcamp.com/ 

Comments