A Sunday Conversation With Steve Pilace of the Dirty Filthy Mugs


When I was a kid, growing up in a house with Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, and Simon and Garfunkel, the first time I ever heard Kiss's "Detroit Rock City," it was a moment of musical epiphany. It was just so vicious, aggressive and mean. It changed the way I listened to music. I've had a few minor epiphany's since then, when you come across a band that just brings something new and revolutionary to your ears.

What have been your musical epiphany moments?

 
Ace Facial- The first one hit when I was five years old watching a kind of children's educational show. The show detailed the career of The Beatles and it changed me forever. They are the reason I picked up an instrument.  The next big hit came when I saw a picture of The Specials and Madness and thought they looked cool. As soon as I heard them I was in! I ran out and bought a pork pie and wing tips and all the clothes. Since I lived in Riverside County as a teenager, dressed as the only imitation mod within 100 miles, I was regularly beaten by my contemporaries and my dad. As these regular beatings started to affect my outlook on society, so too, they affected my musical tastes. Punk and aggressively rebellious Rock started to appeal to me on a much higher level. Those three phases or "epiphany's" helped define who I am today.

Talk to us about the song-writing process for you. What comes first, the idea? A riff? The lyrics? How does it all fall into place?
 
 
Ace- The riff or melody almost always comes first. I don't remember a song where lyrics came first. Once I have the music, I'll record it at my little home studio then start in with the lyrics.
 

Who has influenced you the most?
 
 
Ace- Musically, my heros are the ones who provided those "epiphany moments". The Beatles, Madness, The Jam, The Clash, Small Faces, The Who, AC/DC...

Where do you look for continuing inspiration? New ideas, new motivation?
 
 
Ace- I'm still getting mileage from The Who, The Clash and AC/DC somehow. After years of listening to them, they still do it for me. Inspiration always comes ccidentally, I never look for it... Recently, my inspiration lyrically came from my experiences growing up in Lake Elsinore, California. The entire new record deals with it. I hated every minute of that place, but I had a good time thinking back and writing about it. The subject matter on the new album came fluidly because it was so inspired.

Genre's are so misleading and such a way to pigeonhole bands. Without resorting to labels, how would you describe your music?
 

 
Ace- It's just Punk Rock. Is that a label? I liked it when we were called "The bastard sons of AC/DC and The Pogues."

What is you musical intention? What are you trying to express or get your audience to feel?
 
Ace- I'm doing this for the fun of it. It may be a shallow goal but all I want people to get out of the Mugs is something to smile to and get some aggro out. If I ever think of something more important than trying to make people happy, I may write about that. As for now, all I've got is 'Up In The Downs'.

Come on, share with us a couple of your great, Spinal Tap, rock and roll moments?
 
Ace- I've got so many. Joey with his cold sores, Matt freaking out and smashing the van's door in because someone drank his bottled water, Timbecile's pod malfunctioning and trapping him inside during a show... No wait, that last one was another band.

My favorite tour stories, and I'll give you a very condensed version, are when we hold court. When someone violates a band rule, like masturbating on someone else's sleeping bag or burning  holes in the van's seats (both are real cases brought against Conk), we have him plead his case while the other band members act as prosecution, judge and jury. On both mentioned cases, I was prosecution, Joey was judge and the others were jury. I gave my opening statements and Conk followed with the best defense he could muster. I was proud of my work in finding the inconsistencies in his story and the jury found him guilty on both charges.
Conk was convicted and is no longer allowed to touch anybody's sleeping bags or play with a lighter in the van. Forever! If he violates these rules, the entire band gets to punch him as hard as they want in the leg or arm. The punishments may seem barbaric but I hope you're never the victim of something like this! If you've got a better way of dealing with a chronic masturbator or pyromaniac in a band setting, I'm all ears!
 
 
 What makes a great song?
 
Ace- If it moves you in a great way. 

Tell us about the first song you ever wrote?
 
 
Ace- I wrote a ska song when I was about 12 called "My Grandma". I played and sang it into a tape recorder and gave it to my grandmother for her birthday. I don't remember her reaction to it but I'm sure the song was pure class!

What piece of your music are particularly proud of?

 
Ace- I'm not really proud of any one song I've written. I've never realized that until just now, this moment. I've written songs that I like to play or listen to but... I'm very proud of our new album! No single song jumps out at me, but I'm intensely happy with this album as a whole. Man, that sounds so cliche but it's the truth.

Who today, writes great songs? Who just kicks your ass? Why?

  
Ace- The Aggrolites write really cool tunes. There are some good bands around but I haven't heard any contemporary song that really hits me.

Vinyl, CD, or digital? What's your format of choice?
 
Ace- Vinyl!
 
 
Whiskey or beer?  And defend your choice
 
Ace- Jameson whisky, because I can drink myself into a coma and still feel great the next day. I get headaches the day after a crazy night of beer drinking.

We, at the Ripple Effect, are constantly looking for new music. What's your home town, and when we get there, what's the best record store to lose ourselves in?
 
Ace- In Los Angeles, Headline Records and Amoeba Records will keep you pretty busy. Both carry alot of independent music and rare vinyl.
 

Any final comments or thoughts you'd like to share with our readers, the waveriders?
 
Ace- Yes. Come be friends with us on facebook and let us know why Timbecile is
your least favorite Mug!

Comments