Bully Blinders - City of Dirt


My investigative team and I were standing in the middle of Balboa Park in San Diego, California.  All of our research had led us to this exact location a month ago.  Upon scanning the area with subterranean radar we discovered the tunnel entrance.  It took a month of careful excavation to arrive at this point, the day that we would enter the tunnel.  We arrived a little before seven forty five in the morning, ready to document this momentous occasion.  All three trucks were unloaded, our two large tents were erected, and our prodigious supplies and equipment were organized and readied.  With any luck, it was going to be a long day filled with illuminating insights into a long forgotten society.

The cameras began filming at eight thirty while my team removed the last impediments blocking the mouth of the tunnel.  After everything was cleared away, I turned on my powerful flashlight and strode into the unknown with my camera crew following close behind.  By my estimation I walked about a hundred meters down the tunnel with not one twist or turn before I reached a modest sized room.  The room was a rectangular space with no ornamentation on the walls, and what appeared to be a clay pot on the ground.  To be frank, I was upset.  I expected much more from this tunnel than a featureless room that held nothing of interest, and I voiced my displeasure.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!?  Why go to the trouble of tunneling a good distance underground if all it leads to is an empty room?  I’m sorry…a room with a pot?”
“Mr. Penfold.  Why are you so upset?  This room might appear to hold nothing but a pot, but we need to properly analyze it before jumping to any conclusions.”
“Analyze this room?  Are you serious!?  I can hardly believe that anyone could…okay…breathe man.  Take a few deep breaths.  You know what Mr. Underling?  You’re right.  I let my hopes run away with me.  Of course you’re right.  Thank you my friend.”

No matter what I might admit to the others, I was still disillusioned.  Not thinking, I leaned sideways and put my hand against the wall right above the pot letting it support my weight.  Suddenly the wall around my fingers crumbled and gave way!  Half my arm disappeared inside the opening before I gained my balance!  Flashlight beams danced every which way as my crew rushed to my side.  Thankfully my careless stupidity had not been rewarded with any physical injury, only monumental embarrassment.  The same could not be said for the wall however.  Fissures continued to form, and the affected portion of the wall completely disintegrated all the way down to the floor.  All in all, this was not one of my shining moments as an archeologist.

The disgust I felt for myself was quickly wiped away when I cast a glance towards what lay beyond the hole in the wall.  Nothing interrupted the pitch black darkness beyond the opening.  When I shined my flashlight through the opening I received the same visual result.  This new room/area appeared to be very large, perhaps massive.  Now I was becoming excited.  This could be it!  Without consulting anyone on my team, I ducked my head down and passed through the wall.  Once I was on the other side I took ten steps forward and began shining my light in all directions.  I simply could not believe what my eyes were seeing.  Stretching away into the distance before me was an ancient cityscape.  This was the fabled City of Dirt!  We were standing in what might be the greatest archeological find of the new millennium!

Waveriders, I want to tell you about another important find.  This one is of the musical persuasion, and it could not have come at a better time.  For whatever reason I often encounter stretches where I am unable to find new hip hop artists (new to me at least) that genuinely pique my interest.  I know that they are out there waiting to be discovered, but I apparently lack the means to make their acquaintance.  In these circumstances I rely on others to steer me in the right direction.  Thankfully I have a few friends and coworkers who can do just that, including the great Racer X of The Ripple Effect.  Recently, Racer sent me out onto the internet superhighway to investigate a group named Bully Blinders, and the rest as they say is history.

Bully Blinders is a hip hop duo based out of San Diego made up of William Talls and Chad Tuthill.  In January of 2010 they put out their debut album entitled City Of Dirt, and it is that album which we are going to be talking about today.  To put it mildly, City Of Dirt is fantastic!  Honestly, I knew from the very first song that I was in for something good.  Track number two let me know I was in for something special!  This album is a perfect example of what I’m looking for in hip hop; intelligent, well-delivered lyrics backed by interesting, organic-sounding music.  As I alluded to before, these elements coalesce immediately in the first song.

“The Spirit of John Dewey” bounces to life behind an ultra funky organ/base/drum backdrop.  Honestly I’m not familiar with American philosopher John Dewey’s work, so I am not able to fully decipher the meaning behind this song.  That being said, when the first lyric concerns man’s ‘connection to insects in general / and to anything else in the world boasting wings, legs, and tentacles’, you have my attention.  The second song, “Aim Low Kid”, guaranteed my full and undivided attention with its attack upon the it’s okay to be dumb mindset and the rationale offered behind it.  Here is part of the first lyrical verse to illustrate what I’m referring to.

‘Well okay, it’s cool to be dumb in school / Girls you can play the bimbos, guys you can be the tools / But it’s not your fault, you just do what your told / and what you keep getting sold is the idea just to aim low / Single family homes are up to sixty percent / No time to raise your kids, so they end up learning from the TV sets / eliminating arts from the curriculum and class, so they do just enough to get up, make the grade and pass.’

The highlights keep coming.  There is the feel good ode to delicious cereals “Continental Breakfast”, and the fantastically woven together pastiche of eighties sitcom characters, show titles, and storylines entitled “The Charlie Sheen Theme”.  On the emotional flip side there is the seriously contemplative “Can’t Imagine”, and the sobering look at reality of “You Only Hear What You Want To Hear”.  My personal favorite is called “30 Feet Above Dirt”.  This song is a smooth, laid back story of a man who builds a treehouse to get away from his worldly troubles.  It’s awesome!  Actually, analyzing everything there is not one song out of the nine that I would not consider a highlight.  All nine are keepers!

So there you have it waveriders.  If you are looking for something funky and interesting that deviates from what can be considered the norm in mainstream hip hop, look no further than Bully Blinders’ album City Of Dirt.  If you are anything like me, this album will act like a breath of fresh air.  A palate cleanser if you will.  Oh, and the group has stated that a new full length album is in the works, with a planned release date later on in 2011.  You can bet that I’m looking forward to that release with great anticipation!  Now to check back in with the team.

I just couldn’t bring myself to believe that all our work had paid off!  We were standing in a whole city lost to time!  My team and I rushed out of the tunnel to get more cameras and equipment.  We were in the process of loading ourselves down when the small army of men in black suits approached.

“Who are you?”
“Mr. Penfold, we’re with the government.  I’m afraid that your excavation is finished.  For your own safety, we are going to seal that tunnel.  Also, it would be wise for you and your team to never mention what you have seen here today.  Am I understood?”
“Hold on a second!  You can’t do this!”
“Yes we can sir.  Now pack up and leave the area.  Anyone who does not leave will be forcibly evacuated.”
“But…I…fine, have it your way…for now.”
“Thank you for your cooperation sir.”

--Penfold


Buy here: City of Dirt
Buy here mp3: City Of Dirt



Comments

Horn said…
Pen! Stop putting up hip-hop I have to listen to! I've got enough crap to listen to, let alone hip-hop that I barely have the musical vocabulary to understand.....

My review: "Me Likey!"
Penfold said…
"We can't stop! We have to slow down first!"